We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Funuvia Question

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Funuvia Question

We will be staying at the Mazzaro Sea Palace and will be going up to Taormina to shop, eat, and walk around several times a day over a period of 3 days. I just saw that the Funuvia costs 3.00 Eu for a one-way ticket and 10.00 Eu for a day pass. Not wishing to break the bank each time my wife and I use it and not able to walk up and down steep streets several times a day, are there other/cheaper options to get to Taormina from our hotel that I'm overlooking? Thank you.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,102 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Funuvia Question

Yes, the bulk passes - www.taorminaservizipubblici.it/index.php…

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,102 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Funuvia Question

Actually the weekly pass won't help you, since it's the cost of 3 daily passes. In past years, Taormina sold bulk passes for a set fee that could be used over any period of time.

Vagabonda

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Funuvia Question

Hello Vagabonda,

Thank you again for all of your help. From the link in your first response, can you tell me if the "Blue Line Beachbus (Taormina - Mazzeo)" might be an option for me to get up to Taormina from the Mazzaro Sea Palace? If so, where is the closest bus stop?

Edited: 2:11 pm, July 21, 2013
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,102 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Funuvia Question

Prego Kermitthefr0g,

Unfortunately no, the Linea Blu - Beachbus (Taormina - Mazzeo) is not an option for you, since this bus does not stop near the Grand Hotel Mazzarò Sea Palace.

The hotel is only 50 metres from the funivia, a 2-minute walk.

The “Linea verde” (Ospedale “S.Vincenzo”- stazione ferroviaria di Villagonia – Madonna della Rocca) is the only bus you could consider from the Funivia Mazzarò stop, but the service is infrequent and ends by the evening. Since you wouldn't be able to return to the hotel after dinner by bus, you would then take the funivia, so the funivia's Giornaliero (day) or Settimanale (week) pass once again becomes the more attractive option.

Vagabonda

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Funuvia Question

Thank you Vagabonda for your help.

I hope that you can understand that paying 60 Eu for transportation for my wife and I to go "into town" for 3 days of shopping and dinner is a lot of money to pay! I also cannot change the hotel since it is part of a touring package that I've already purchased.

Since I cannot afford the funuvia to do all of this, can you recommend 3 restaurants for dinner that are within walking distance of the Mazzaro Sea Palace? Particularly, would you recommend il Barcaiolo, Ristorante L'Isola del Pescatore di Intelisano Santo, and Ristorante Castelluccio as nice places with good wine and food?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,102 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Funuvia Question

Prego Kermitthefr0g

Yes, unfortunately the additional cost of the funivia certainly becomes pricey.

Yes, good local options and Ristorante Da Giovanni as well.

Best regards,

Vagabonda

7. Re: Funuvia Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 24, 2014