We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinary help please!! :)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinary help please!! :)

Hi I am planning a trip to Sicily for the last week in October. Unfortunately I can only fly into Palermo but would love to see both sides of the island. My plan is to stay on the West coast in Trapani for the first 3 days and then then spend a couple of days on the east coast for the other half of the week maybe staying in Taormina , .(or vice versa, whichever is handier for the airport coming home) although I have a late enough flight so can afford to travel a bit that day. Not especially keen on driving after reading reviews lol., What are the most beautiful places on each coast and the easiest to access either by train or bus from each place I plan to stay and also what are the transport costs roughly when travelling by either.

Thanks so much in advance :)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,404 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinary help please!! :)

Welcome to Sicily flo-rider60!

What time will you arrive in Sicily?

Begin in Eastern Sicily and end in Western Sicily to better position for your departing flight.

Buses are generally preferred to trains, especially in Sicily's interior provinces.

Consider Taormina or Siracusa - Interbus runs direct bus service between Siracusa, Palermo, and onward to Trapani, and then infrequent, but direct service from Trapani to Palermo's airport.

Schedule will update in September prior to yur vsit in October.

http://www.interbus.it/

Under “Data/date” (departure date), enter your date of departure; under “Partenza/departure” (the town you will be departing), enter your deaprting town; under Arrivo/Arrival (your destination town), enter your arriving town; click on “Ho letto e accetto le condizioni per l'utilizzo del servizio web”; then click on “Cerca” for schedules.

Click on the information symbol, to retrieve schedules, connections, stops, duration, connection time, cost, and bus companies (Etna Trasporti, Interbus, or Segesta).

Best wishes!

Vagabonda

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinary help please!! :)

Thank you so much for your reply, it has been so helpful and this is what I will do if i choose this itinary. :) I was also trying to plan an alternate itinary yesterday if my first plan wasn,t good and thought of maybe staying in Cefalu as a base and hiring a car for a couple of days for further journeys and then using buses/trains for the nearer trips. Which would you reccommend of either the above .... the 2 coast split stay or can it all be done from Cefalu quite comfortably over a week. (I,m an early riser when away lol)

Once again thanks so much for your helpful input :)

P.S Unfortunately,my flight arrives at 8.30 in the evening so will probably need to stay in Palermo for the first night as it may be too late for buses trains to run anywhere?:(

Edited: 8:16 pm, July 17, 2013
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,404 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinary help please!! :)

Prego flo-rider60,

One central base really won’t serve you well – You’d be between places, but not really in either, and you’d be driving long distances every day.

Cefalù is practical by train for exploring Palermo, but bus service is very local and lacking in this area, and train service is usually delayed.

Unless you plan to hire a car on arrival, then spend your first night in Palermo.

If you have a late departing flight, you might spend your last night in Cefalù, and then you might decide that a transfer from Palermo's airport to Trapani on arrival would be worth the expense to position for your first full day in Western Sicily.

The best -

Vagabonda

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinary help please!! :)

My husband and I will be traveling to Geneva late September and will be there for a few days for business/pleasure. We will have an extra five days and were thinking about spending some time in Italy. Any suggestions?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,404 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinary help please!! :)

That would be lovely foerster9!

Do you plan to rent a car?

Do you depart from Geneva, Milan????

You might enjoy nearby Piemonte or Lakes Maggiore or Como, and Turin or Milan.

If you'd like to see Sicily, easyJet flies direct from Geneva to Catania several times a week, and Air Malta flies to Catania from Geneva.

You could then base in Taormina and/or Siracusa, and see Mount Etna and Noto.

Vagabonda

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinary help please!! :)

Thank you very much for all your help Vagabonda :)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,404 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinary help please!! :)

My pleasure flo-rider60 - Buon viaggio!

Vagabonda

8. Re: Itinary help please!! :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 23, 2014