We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catania Airport to Taormina Taxi

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Catania Airport to Taormina Taxi

Hello, has anyone used Airport city transfer for the above journey. We are arriving at 9 PM on wednesday night, and have booked using this website a taxi from Catania to our hotel in Taormina. I have been quoted a price of €67 for a sedan car. But I have never used this website before. Hence I am wondering if this is a reliable website and a good price for the transfer.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Gaurav

portadown
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catania Airport to Taormina Taxi

Hi Gaurav,

We are just back from Taormina a week ago. We did not use the airport city transfer but used the etna public bus which cost about 8 euro one way. We were going to get a taxi when we arrived on Sunday 5th May because we had a two hour wait and public transport was limited on a Sunday. While we were waiting for the bus I asked one of the taxi guys how much it was to Taormina and with a shrug of the shoulders he said 100 euro ( I think he was chancing his arm) so I reckon 67 euro sounds about right. Taormina is a wonderful place, hope this has been of some use to you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catania Airport to Taormina Taxi

The only thing that makes me nervous about your quote is whether or not you would actually get the fare of 67 euros.

You might - but I remember booking a similar online transfer for Cairo and when I arrived the fare had mystereously been hiked a lot.

You do know that the site you are using is just an online broker, yes? They don't themselves have any taxis or sedans, they will simply charge you, and then email a third party in Sicily to do the actual driving.

We've done this trip (airport to Taormina) 4 times now, and always use http://www.newtravelservices.net/ because they are reliable, and a return trip (assuming you're going back to the airport) will cost about what you've been quoted each way.

It may be that the online portal you are using will end up booking your travel with a third party like new travel services, but I'm a great believer in booking direct so that if problems arise (whcih as you'll see from the reviews, don't usually with new travel) they can be sorted directly.

Belfast, NI
Level Contributor
447 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catania Airport to Taormina Taxi

Yeah I would also eliminate any risk and go with new travel services - can personally recommend on the basis of many trips, several of which were late flights where the taxi was still waiting a few hours later. Also they will be the best price.

Really never take a taxi airport, my only experience cost me a fortune and also the driver did not know his way around taormina and I ended up directing him while he got crosser and crosser :)

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,007 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catania Airport to Taormina Taxi

Another vote for New Travel Services, my experience was excellent as well.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,779 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Catania Airport to Taormina Taxi

Welcome to Sicily gauravc!!

This company isn’t based in Sicily and would then subcontract your transfer to a local company in Sicily, so you really wouldn't know which company would be doing your transfer, or whether the company had the appropriate licence and insurance.

Contact a reputable transfer service based on the ground in Sicily - Sicily Life, New Travel Services, Sicily Limousine Services....

Vagabonda

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Catania Airport to Taormina Taxi

Hi,

Just been quoted 94 euro return from Catania to Taormina for 4 people. Which to me seems a very good price for return journey.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Catania Airport to Taormina Taxi

Regards to the post above. The email from NewTravel was a little confusing.

They quote 94euro one way. Not sure why its so much more expensive to Jeremymangu trips.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Catania Airport to Taormina Taxi

We are just back and had superb service once again from new travel services - large, spacious poeple carriers, phone calls when you arrive and leave to ask if all is well/satisfied, modern, clean fleet - we'd not choose anything else.

Perhaps because there are 4 of you the fare is a little higher than the 69 euros we paid each way last week - you can be sure that others would charge a little more for 4 people as well, and of course taxis can't handle 4 people.

Honestly, for the price quoted it's a no-brainer - it was our 6th time using this company, and as someone who is involved in assessing customer service practises in the UK, you won't go wrong.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,779 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Catania Airport to Taormina Taxi

It’s because you are 4 people CGPPlymouth - The transfer from Catania to Taormina from 1 to 3 people costs €69, but from 4 to 8 people costs €94.

Vagabonda

Belfast, NI
Level Contributor
447 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Catania Airport to Taormina Taxi

Agree exactly with jerrymangu, it's a no brainer to use NTS :).

Get answers to your questions about Taormina