We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from Sicily , we were shocked!

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned from Sicily , we were shocked!

Having just returned from a lovely holiday in Taormina & Siracusa we were horrified at the amount of rubbish & flytipping on the sides of the roads . Obviously the tourist towns are kept very clean but driving inland around the Etna area, the roadsides were like rubbish dumps & must pose a hygene problem . Why do the Sicilians do this to their lovely island? It really spoiled our driving trip to Etna. Do they have some problem with rubbish collection ?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,957 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned from Sicily , we were shocked!

Spoiled your drive to Mount Etna Sno125patrol? This isn’t about tourists - Imagine Sicilians...

Sicily is bankrupt, and mainland Italy fears that the lack of services will soon contaminate mainland Italy as well.

bestofsicilyblog.com/2012/07/wall-street-jou…

telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/9410…

Vagabonda

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned from Sicily , we were shocked!

Well I would like to think that tourists visiting would help Sicily's financial crisis to some extent & a dirty country is not attractive to visit. Most tourists are not really aware of Sicily's financial problems, particularly as most of the world is in recession at the moment. I have also been told since that Sicily has always had a problem with rubbish removal for some reason , apparently for the last 30 years, therefore nothing to do with current financial problems. Is there a reason for this?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,957 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned from Sicily , we were shocked!

How could anyone in this global economy not be aware of the EU financial difficulties in Italy, Greece, Portuganl, Spain, Ireland??

nytimes.com/interactive/2012/06/14/business/…

Vagabonda

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned from Sicily , we were shocked!

I'm shocked that "most tourists" aren't aware that some EU countries have been harder hit by the recession than we in North America. What you experienced was a bit of real life, which to me is a part of what travel is about.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,485 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned from Sicily , we were shocked!

I am sure that the people who live there every day of their lives would love to have the economic means to effectively resolve this problem.

At least you got to go back home where, presumably, you don't have to endure the same.

In much of the U.S. all kinds of services are being cut back and disappearing and, as well stated above by Vagabonda, certain countries have sadly been much more decimated by the economic crisis.