We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sicily's Best Kept Secret

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Sicily's Best Kept Secret

This little town named Mazzeo in Taormina at the Sea (Mare) is Sicily's best kept secret. My husband, kids and I LOVE it!!

The town is quiet and less commercial than its neighbor Letojanni. We are able to go to the beach in the morning and sightsee in the afternoons or if we went sightseeing the mornings we are able to go to the beach in the afternoon and sometimes stay at the beach until 7 PM.

We found a magnificent restaurant which we frequented named Arco Rosso. The owners spoke real english. The food is DELICIOUS and their prices are very reasonable. The dining view is incredible!

We enjoyed morning cappuino and afternoon cocktails at DeLuge and hung out with the locals in the afternoons. We were able to see our kids play at the beach from our balcony.

Ask Pina where to stay and she'll hook you up. We are so glad we found our paradise. We will be returning!!!!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
104,233 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sicily's Best Kept Secret

Thanks for your report and review FranFromFlushing, but Mazzeo and taormina Mare is far from a secret, even if delightful!

www.gotaormina.com/en/beaches/mazzeo.html

Vagabonda

7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sicily's Best Kept Secret

Loved reading your post for our family will be staying in Mazzeo during Easter 2013! We will be vacationing there the first of April with 2 sixteen year olds. Any special tips? Planning on hiking to Castelmola, visiting the Greek theatre, and hoping to take day trips to Mt Etna and the Alcantara Gorges if weather permits. Are canoe or boat rentals available? We are so excited! Thanks!

modica
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sicily's Best Kept Secret

I have to ask... what is real English?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
104,233 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sicily's Best Kept Secret

Welcome to Sicily mommaralph!

Mazzeo is a beach resort and April is early for the beach – Formal beach services don’t begin until June.

April is also early to fully appreciate Alcanatara - Although you can visit the park, you probably won't be able to walk up the river.

frommers.com/destinations/…0137010029.html

Enjoy boating Taormina Bay!

Boat trip around Taormina:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187892-i344-k4516…

Consider day trips to Siracusa, the Aeolians....

Vagabonda

Atlanta, Georgia...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sicily's Best Kept Secret

Real English? That would be Amurikan. ;-)

Atlanta, Georgia...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sicily's Best Kept Secret

> Ask Pina where to stay and she'll hook you up.

Who is Pina?

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sicily's Best Kept Secret

Pina is one of the owners of Arco Rosso Restaurant. She hooked us up with the apartment. I was lucky to have found her.

Yes, American english. What I meant was fluent without the heavy italian accent. It's much easier to communicate.

Midlands England
Level Contributor
372 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sicily's Best Kept Secret

Oh right without the Italian accent. That would be much better :-(

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
104,233 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sicily's Best Kept Secret

I agree donnieitaly!

Vagabonda

Atlanta, Georgia...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sicily's Best Kept Secret

Thanks Fran...we are going in October and we haven't planned anything yet outside of flight into Palermo and out of Catania. We have just 8 days and I plan to do a lot of reading here.

Mazzeo sounds nice.