We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Town

Which Taormina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dopuglas, GA
1 post
Save Topic
Old Town

I am debating old town versus beach. We will be there 4 days at the end of two weeks in Rome, Tuscany, Ravello. Agent suggest the Grand Timeo in old town? Any opinions?

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
73 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Town

Check out the reviews On Hotel Timeo here, its REALLY expensive and there are not really any views to relax and watch from your room. Better trying somewhere else, better value for money with better views! AS for Old Town, the beach is five mins by shuttle or local bus (every ten minutes) OR even by cable car from the town to the beach. If you stay by teh beach there are local buses and often hotel shuttles on a regular basis, often its never much of a walk! Depends which side you stay on really, views of Etna? OR views of the beach?Isola Bella? We saw Etna seperately so loved the coastline of Italy and the beach view. Hope this helps!

Stowe, VT
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Town

The two nice hotels in Taormina are expensive. The Gran Hotel Timeo and the San Domenico Palace. I've stayed at them both. I prefer the San Domenico (I was married there). Having spent 15 years traveling to Taormina once or twice a year you cannot go wrong with either. The views from both are incredible. Buon Viaggo!!

manchester england
Level Contributor
205 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Town

Hi Carsable

I am staying at the San Domenico Palace this June in a convent room. I would appreciate any information you can give me good or bad.

I have read the reviews on this site.

Thanx.

London On.
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Town

We have stayed at Villa Schuler and Hotel Svizzera...both are reasonably priced and in "old " Taormina . Going back for the 3rd time to Svizzera this Sept. ....so convenient, friendly and well located.

belgium
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old Town

Hotel Timeo is very beautiful and central, but wickedly expensive compared to the absolutely amazing places you can stay for a fraction of their prices. My suggestion, unless money is no object, find a lovely cozier place and stop into the Timeo around sunset for a drink on their terrace. Public is welcome. Views are more than worth the extra price for drinks. A beer was 8euros and my lemoncello was 9! Still worth the view of Etna in the sunset. We stayed at the Fiorita on the north end of town, but very convenient to cablecar and the Corso. Beautiful landscaping in the breakfast garden area and many private cozy places to sit on sunbeds. Pool less wonderful, but still very refreshing. Also recommend the Sirius Hotel. Better views than the Fiorita, but with a long steep driveway. Ask for ocean view room. Not worth staying down on the beach as to me it seemed rather less charming and you must take cablecar everytime you want to walk into town and eat or stroll or drink. Find a nice place with gardens and pool and you'll be all set.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Old Town

Lido Caparena on the beach is excellent with shuttle bus up to Taormina. Stayed here twice in ayr

Great beach. must get sea facing room