We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Florence to Siracusa (Sicily)

Which Syracuse hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sarasota, Florida...
Level Contributor
795 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Train Florence to Siracusa (Sicily)

Have tried to understand the trenitalia website but failed.

I am hoping to book the following:

Private compartment for 2 persons

Florence to Siracusa (Sicily)

Trying to understand the fare.

Any advice? Thanks.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Train Florence to Siracusa (Sicily)

Man_in_Seat_61 I presume you are the "man" of the website. I love it!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,495 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Train Florence to Siracusa (Sicily)

Yes, it’s a very long journey, and the notion that a direct flight and a direct bus would be more stressful than this long train journey is absurd!

Travel by train throughout Northern Italy, but not from Northern Italy to Sicily.

If you’d like overnight transport, you could consider taking the train to Naples, and then taking the overnight TTT Lines ferry service from Naples to Catania.

http://www.tttlines.it/en/

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,495 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Train Florence to Siracusa (Sicily)

And by bus....

Bussing from Florence to Agrigento Sicily:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g194662-i1381-k613…

Vagabonda

Opole, Poland
Level Contributor
7 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Train Florence to Siracusa (Sicily)

We came to Siracusa from Rome by night train at the beginning of February. As a family of four, we had a compartment to ourselves and it was fine. Slept until the ferry (still dark for the crossing but got a welcome capuccino from the boat bar) then watched the amazing views of Etna as we made our way down the coast. We arrived in Siracusa ten minutes late and fully refreshed. Going back, we slept well until Naples and woke up to see Vesuvius and then the coast /mountains from there until Rome.

We had planned to fly to Catania from Rome but last minute cancellations forced us to change our plans and we're actually very glad they did. If you're not sharing a sleeper/couchettes with strangers then it really is a very pleasant way to travel.

We booked through Trenitalia. No problem except I had to ring my credit card company to authorise the transaction.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,534 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Train Florence to Siracusa (Sicily)

Believe it or not, there still are people who are not opposed to taking a long train trip, whether by night or by day, and who prefer to avoid going to and from the airport to take a flight. As long as such people (plus prospective travellers) are well aware of the advantages and disadvantages of all travel solutions (i.e. train versus plane versus other solutions), the fact that there is a train option should, IMO, be considered in a positive light.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,495 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Train Florence to Siracusa (Sicily)

Happily the train was fine for you Rod_Fricker.

We all travel differently and fortunately there are options for each of our styles and budgets.

The fact that there is a train option is positive – Pity that the service is so poor.

Night trains are not comfortable. It can be difficult to sleep in cramped quarters, and many hours without food service is less than optimal. Travel in hot weather can also be very unpleasant with malfunctioning air-conditioning, and even if the air-conditioning is functioning, temperatures are not always sufficiently comfortable. The air-conditioning turns off during the crossing. And trains can be dirty.

And once in Sicily, Sicily’s tracks can’t handle the fast trains found on the mainland. Trains in Sicily are hot, dirty, and delayed. With few exceptions (along the northern and eastern coats), buses are much preferred to trains in Sicily.

How do I get there by train, ship or bus?:

www.bestofsicily.com/faqs.htm#arrival_train

If only the service would improve!

Vagabonda

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Train Florence to Siracusa (Sicily)

In the summer of 1964, I traveled by train, in 3rd class compartments, sitting up, often overnight. From Paris to Nice, from Nice to Venice ..... from Rome to Zurich, from Zurich to... Don't recall everything but I know I was also in Mainz and Berlin and ended up in Brussels for my flight home.

Yes, it was a real European experience. And I survived and got where I needed to go, very cheaply. Would I do it again? Not voluntarily. And if Vagabonda says the trains in Sicily are not ----- up to snuff ---- I believe her.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,495 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Train Florence to Siracusa (Sicily)

Thank you ItalophileNJ – Believe it!!

Many towns in Sicily don’t have train stations and are only served by bus.

Here are the areas that are served by trains.

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Train service is best along the northern and eastern coasts, especially the eastern coast. Trains along the northern coast are often delayed.

With the exception of travel to Cefalù on Sicily’s northern coast, travel between Messina/Taormina/Catania/Siracusa, travel from Palermo to Agrigento, travel from Trapani to Marsala and Castelvetrano, and travel between Ragusa and Gela, buses are much preferred in Sicily.

Train service is slow, usually hours longer for the same journey than travel by bus. It’s faster, easier, and more comfortable to reach most places by bus – Compare schedules for trains and buses, but then factor time for the delays on trains as well.

And even areas with train service don’t have service on Sundays – There’s no train service in Ragusa or Modica on Sundays. Tourist Information in Modica would laugh if you were to express interest in travel by train.

And then consider that the tracks are old and not maintained, and even single rail - Certainly Sicily will never enjoy the high-speed service of the Frecciarossa, Frecciargento, or Frecciabianca!

And then consider the conditions and lack of amenities.

These sentiments are shared by many – Note biondo’s comments.

Train travel from Rome to Cefalu with a small kid:

tripadvisor.com/…33315720

Sorry, but another 6-8 day itinerary help request! :)

tripadvisor.com/…37097195

Two nights in Palermo or one night Palermo, one Taormina?

tripadvisor.com/…38514714

There’s nothing romantic about train service in Sicily, even with a bottle of wine and a view of Etna – Che vergogna!!!!!

Vagabonda

19. Re: Train Florence to Siracusa (Sicily)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 16, 2014