We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Stay

D B
Seattle
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to Stay

Looking for a place to stay in Syracuse and finding that some of the highest rated hotels have not received any TA reviews for 4 or 5 years.

We would like to make Syracuse our base for exploring the SE sector of Sicily. Ortygia looks like a great spot but we need parking and easy access in and out of the area for day trips.

Any suggestions??

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,574 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Stay

There are very many recent reviews for Siracusa’s accommodations (hotels and B&Bs)…

Although there are hotels on Ortigia that offer parking, it’s not necessary to stay in an accommodation with parking since Talete is so convenient for parking.

Consider Hotel Livingston, L’Approdo delle Sirene, Royal Maniace Hotel, L’Approdo delle Sirene, B&B La Via della Giudecca, Algilà Ortigia Charme Hotel, La Corte Degli Angeli….

Vagabonda

modica
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Stay

General note; if you're planning to park and see Ortigia for a few hours with a car full of luggage, Talete isn't your best bet. Best to leave the car at the Porta Marina car park, (2 euros per hour) - turn right when you cross the bridge into Ortiga and its at the end of the road, but it is staffed and the safest car park in the area.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,574 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Stay

Grazie modicasa - Yes, the Porta Marina is staffed, safer, and more visible.

It's still never recommended to leave luggage unattended in the car!

Vagabonda

Edited: 10:00 am, June 11, 2012
modica
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Stay

true - but i have had a lot of clients thinking to spend the day prior to the plane home in Catania - then they have rethought and opted for Siracusa, but last week someone had their car broken into in Siracusa and they took the lot....

D B
Seattle
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Stay

Vagabonda,

Thanks for the hotel tips!

Sorry for the confusion about hotel reviews. I now see the reviews are listed starting with the oldest ones at the top. I was not going back far enough in the listings to see the more current comments.

We will have a car as we intend to explore outside Syracusa/Ortygia during our 3 nights stay. We hope to find a spot to park near one of the hotels. I noticed that Hotel Cavalieri offers "free parking." Do you know about this?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,574 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to Stay

That could ruin a holiday, especially at the start – If not based in Siracusa, day trip to Siracusa during your holiday, and don’t leave luggage unattended in the car.

There’s left luggage storage at Catania Centrale.

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,574 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to Stay

Boutique Hotel Cavalieri is lovely, but not located on Ortigia – It’s located on mainland Siracusa.

There’s no need to consider parking when deciding your hotel…

Vagabonda

D B
Seattle
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to Stay

I'm not sure why you say "no need to consider parking...."

It seems easy and available parking would be a huge factor.

Can you say a little more?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,574 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to Stay

Because with the parking station at Talete, there's easy and affordable parking, so you could stay in any hotel of your choice. Ortigia is compact - You could easily drop off luggage, and then park at Talete if your accommodation doesn't offer parking.

Vagabonda

D B
Seattle
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to Stay

I see, grazie!