We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coin laundry in Siracusa! Hooray!

Which Syracuse hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
Coin laundry in Siracusa! Hooray!

Siracusa has an American-style coin laundry. What a find! We like to travel light, and we don't like to spend days worrying about getting clean laundry. How nice it was to find "lava e asciuga self-service a gettoni." Two carry-on bags of laundry cleaned, dried, and folded in just a little over an hour. And at a price that none of the dry cleaners can come close to.

Mariah Nunn and her partner Davide run Wash and Dry at

Corso Umberto 1, 13

96100 Siracusa (SR)

327 540 6891

washanddrysiracusa@gmail.com

Prices as of Sept 2010:

one washload up to 7KG: 3,50 euros

one washload up to 12KG: 6,00 euros

one washload up to 14KG: 7,00 euros

dryers: 1 euro / 6 minutes

Available: detergent, fabric softener, additives, disinfectants, mold remover, color mistake blockers, bags

It is a small place. They are located on Corso Umberto, just before crossing over the water way into Ortigia.

Davide recognized I needed a little help translating my American laundry experience into this Sicilian variation. He spoke English. He got me started by asking my needs and explaining my options. As I was loading my laundry, Davide was called away, and Mariah continued to assist me. What a pleasure. She explained that I had the option of leaving her enough money to cover the dryers; she would transfer the clothes, run the dryers, fold and bag my clothes - for no additional charge. I hesitate to mention it because I don't know if I simply caught them at a good time, but I have reason to believe this is the way they conduct their business. Mariah explained that the coin-operated model is new to Sicilians (to Italians in general?). "Self-service" had been frequently misunderstood. So they extended services in order to ease acceptance. To be able to drop off my clothes, return to sight-seeing, and then return later (at my convenience) - all at a self-service price - was beyond my wildest expectations. Oh, I forgot to mention that Mariah speaks U.S. English. I believe that she was raised in the States; but, as friendly as our conversation was, I don't want to misrepresent what I don't know for sure.

I usually travel for two weeks at at time. I hate the prospect of doing laundry: tracking down a place, figuring out prices, negotiating for a quick turn-around, and generally putting everything on hold until it is done. When in Sicily, it doesn't have to be that way any longer.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Coin laundry in Siracusa! Hooray!

"....Worth booking a holiday in Siracusa just for the laundrette!"

Couldnt agree more. In fact I'm planning a return trip to Siracusa this spring, and one of the things that makes a long stay in the B&B L'Approdo delle Sirene possible is the ease of doing laundry just across the bridge from Ortygia.

This time I plan to remember to bring dryer sheets for them with me. :-)

Sicily, Italy
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Coin laundry in Siracusa! Hooray!

Hey, thanks!

We look forward to seeing you soon! (You had us at "dryer sheets"!)

Ci vediamo~

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,460 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Coin laundry in Siracusa! Hooray!

Hopefully ItalophileNJ will remember the dryer sheets this time Mariah!!

Vagabonda

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Coin laundry in Siracusa! Hooray!

I have added "Dryer sheets" to the silly little packing "app" on my iPhone. Looking forward to meeting you this trip; last trip I believe I only met your husband.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,460 posts
Save Reply
35. Re: Coin laundry in Siracusa! Hooray!

Those dryer sheets are worth a lot ItalophileNJ!! :-)

Vagabonda

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Coin laundry in Siracusa! Hooray!

I've bought the box of dryer sheets for Maria....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Coin laundry in Siracusa! Hooray!

I've bought the box of dryer sheets for Mariah....

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,460 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: Coin laundry in Siracusa! Hooray!

Hopefully the first item you pack ItalophileNJ!! :-)

Vagabonda xox

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Coin laundry in Siracusa! Hooray!

It's now sitting on top of my suitcase. I'd put it in but the smell is too strong!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,460 posts
Save Reply
40. Re: Coin laundry in Siracusa! Hooray!

Aargh - That's not good ItalophileNJ!!

Vagabonda

Get answers to your questions about Syracuse