We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palermo - Hotel Letizia or Hotel Joli?

California
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Palermo - Hotel Letizia or Hotel Joli?

We are trying to decide between these two hotels. Can anyone help us out? Also, we notice that as part of the Hotel Letizia, there also seems to be a Bed & Breakfast Ai Botai. Is that preferable to either the Classic or Superior double room? Lastly, do you know if there is free bus service to and from the airport? Thanks!

uk
Level Contributor
230 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palermo - Hotel Letizia or Hotel Joli?

There are transport links from the airport (bus/train) but I'm not sure how much they are as I have always got taxi(between 30-35 euros)I wouldn't have thought there was a free bus

I can advise you on Letizia as I have stayed there twice now.Basically it's a bit of a gamble/lottery. The rooms vary A LOT in terms of size,light and temperature! The first time I stayed I booked a normal double room and it was pretty nice. Warning bells should have rung when I heard 2 American ladies complaining about their room at reception, but I suppose I just thought they were being fussy. I stayed in the hotel for a second time in June-what a mistake. This time the room we got was just about big enough for the bed and was extremely dark,even with all the lights on. Even though we were only staying for one night we asked to move. The staff seemed really offended by this request and claimed the only other free room was the suite and that we'd need to pay an extra 40E for this. We were so fed up we just paid it-but this wasn't an end to it. The suite was bigger than the room,granted, but the bathroom only had a (dirty) bath and hand held shower(really difficult to wash hair with) and we were always terrified of slipping on the wet marble floor! Still, we could have coped with all this (despite being horrified at the 150E price tag) if the air conditioning had worked! It was ridiculously hot. And maybe, just maybe, we would have even put up with this if the staff (specifically the couple who appear to be the owners) hadn't been so downright hostile and resolutely unhelpful. It was apparant that they couldnt care less and furthermore laughed and made fun of us in Italian, wrongly assuming that we wouldn't understand. I've just looked at their website which they seem to have redesigned and recatagorised the rooms which is a small step in the right direction I suppose but I would never stay here again as I felt so let down by the owners/staff. We spotted a lovely looking new place right round the corner that we're going to try next time as we do like that area (www.harmonyhotel.it) We spoke to the staff there and they seemed very genuine and pleasant.

As for Joli,we did pass it but I couldnt really comment.

Hope you enjoy your stay whichever you decide

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Joli
Hotel Joli
653 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
California
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Palermo - Hotel Letizia or Hotel Joli?

Thanks so much for your feedback. I will cross Letizia off my list. Any thoughts as to staying near the port (i.e., Hotel Joli) versus over near the Teatro Massimo? (After reserving found a B&B that tooks good though listed as noisy.) Would love to hear any and all comments, suggestions, feedback on any part of your stay in Sicily. This is our first time and we're working very hard to plan ahead, as though we do speak French and Spanish, we don't speak Italian or Sicilian, so are trying to book ahead.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Joli
Hotel Joli
653 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Teatro Massimo
Teatro Massimo
2,686 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
san jose
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Palermo - Hotel Letizia or Hotel Joli?

There are trains and buses from airport to Palermo at very nominal rates. There are 2 jolly hotels the one on Foro Italico 22 is a nice place ,good service friendly people and at times you can get very good rates. I have never stayed at the other but I have been told it's not very good ,be sure you get info on the right one. The Jolly overlooks the bay and is next to Via Gulia on Via Lincoln. They also serve a nice breakfast included with room price. Whereever you go have a wonderful trip and don't forget to eat plenty of gelato and Sicilian pastries you'll love them.

Joe

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Foro Italico
Foro Italico
101 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
san jose
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Palermo - Hotel Letizia or Hotel Joli?

There are trains and buses from airport to Palermo at very nominal rates. There are 2 jolly hotels the one on Foro Italico 22 is a nice place ,good service friendly people and at times you can get very good rates. I have never stayed at the other but I have been told it's not very good ,be sure you get info on the right one. The Jolly overlooks the bay and is next to Via Gulia on Via Lincoln. They also serve a nice breakfast included with room price. Whereever you go have a wonderful trip and don't forget to eat plenty of gelato and Sicilian pastries you'll love them.

Joe

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Foro Italico
Foro Italico
101 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
California
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Palermo - Hotel Letizia or Hotel Joli?

we may be at the "wrong" one. The one we reserved at is: http://www.hoteljoli.com/en/rooms.htm

Could you please let me know? If it is the "wrong" one, could you provide the URL to the right one? Thanks!

san jose
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Palermo - Hotel Letizia or Hotel Joli?

Get on google and put in hotels in palermo italy and the jolly on foro italico should come up and you can get rates and book. good luck

Joe

san jose
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Palermo - Hotel Letizia or Hotel Joli?

Also if you go to side step.com I believe it will come up and you can compare some prices.

Joe

8. Re: Palermo - Hotel Letizia or Hotel Joli?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, August 20, 2009