We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sicily/Malta connections

New York
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sicily/Malta connections

We are in the beginning stage of planning an October trip to Malta and Sicily from NYC using frequent flyer miles which get us only to Malta. I am thinking of flying from Malta on Air Malta to Catania, renting a car and traveling for about 2 weeks ending in Palermo. As we dont want to drive in Palermo, dropping the car at the airport and taking the bus back into Palermo and spending a few days there. We would then fly on Air Malta back to Malta via Rome. Is this a viable plan and furthermore is Air Malta known to be reliable in terms of not canceling flights. Thanks so much for your guidance. I know I will have more questions as I continue to plan this trip.

Mentioned in this post
Catania
Catania
Sicily, Italy
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,952 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sicily/Malta connections

You would do better to ask about Air Malta in the forum for Malta, especially as it has no flights to or from Palermo! See http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/malta.htm

I take it you are flying from Rome to Valletta with Air Malta: Palermo to Rome would have to be with Easyjet, Blu-Express, Meridiana, Ryanair or Vueling (from June 2014).

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Blu
Blu
157 Reviews
Fregene, Italy
New York
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sicily/Malta connections

We are flying directly from NYC to Valleta. on United. Yes, I do know that Air Malta has no direct flights to Malta from Palermo only via Rome. The problem is that our flight back to NYC on United leaves from Malta! I just wanted to check the logic of flying into Catania , renting a car there and dropping it off at Palermo airport, going back into Palermo for a few days and then flying back to Malta on Air Malta from Palermo via Rome.

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Catania
Catania
Sicily, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
108,800 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sicily/Malta connections

Welcome to Sicily viajera!

Air Malta is a reliable airline.

It would be much easier to take the reliable and direct SAIS Autolinee bus service from Palermo to Aeroporto Catania, and then fly Air Malta from Catania back to Malta then it would be to take flights from Palermo to Rome to Malta. It's only a 2,5-hour bus ride to Catania's airport from Palermo. Hire the car at Catania's airport and return the car at Palermo's airport. If planning to see Agrigento, you might also return the car in Agrigento and then take the Cuffaro bus from Agrigento to Palermo. Where do you plan to be just prior to Palermo?

http://www.saisautolinee.it/

http://www.saisautolinee.it/regionali.htm

Vagabonda

Edited: 5:34 pm, December 28, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Catania
Catania
Sicily, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Agrigento
Agrigento
Sicily, Italy
Olympia, WA
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sicily/Malta connections

Suggest you take the ferry from Valletta, Malta to Pozzolo. It cost about 50 Euro, takes 90 minutes and leaves daily early AM. You can rent a car at the port when you arrive. Beats flying as it's cheaper and faster.

Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
108,800 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sicily/Malta connections

However the AST bus from Palermo to Pozzallo is a longer journey by hours than the SAIS Autolinee bus from Palermo to Catania's airport, and there's limited car hire options at Pozzallo's port.

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Pozzallo
Pozzallo
Sicily, Italy
New York
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sicily/Malta connections

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. I think Vagabonda's suggestion makes the most sense for us unless I can manage to get a frequent flyer return ticket from Rome back to NYC instead of the round trip to Malta and then we would fly back from Palermo to Rome instead of Malta. I will need lots more help as I plan our actual trip itinerary, so I am grateful that you are all are so willing to offer suggestions.

Grazie.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
108,800 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sicily/Malta connections

Prego viajera,

Yes, if you can get a frequent flyer return ticket from Rome, then it would make sense to fly from Palermo to Rome, but otherwise, the flight from Catania to Malta is your easiest option.

Enjoy your planning, and it's been my pleasure!

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Catania
Catania
Sicily, Italy
8. Re: Sicily/Malta connections

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, December 31, 2014