We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

an alternative to Palermo

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
an alternative to Palermo

Ciao Cara Vagabonda,

Ho appena tornata da Italia, e mi gia manca Italia! Quello era un viaggio del mio compleanno e d'opera. Lo credi, ho visto 8 concerti (incluso 6 opere) in 10 giorni! Ero in settimo cielo!

Adesso sono pronta per un viaggio di sole e mare - a Sicilia!

Now, assuming I'm too tired to make it to my final destination on the arrival day, where is a nice place to stay near the airport, taking into consideration that the next day, I'm taking the bus to Mazara del Vallo.

For this trip, tentatively, I'm staying at 3 places - Mazara del Vallo, Favignana and Trapani. I think Trapani would be a better finale than Mazara del Vallo, that's why I want to start at Mazara.

I have a total of 9 days, 10 nights.

And, if possible, I would like to fit in one night in Palermo for Barbiere. Unfortunately, there isn't a performance on my last night. I can decide on that later.

Non vedo l'ora della tua opinione.

vteotl

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: an alternative to Palermo

Ti ringrazio, di nuovo, e per sempre!

Yes, I was thinking about the schedules too. They may be different in Sept.

Just toying with the idea - if I rent a car from the Palermo airport and drive to Mazara, it takes only a little more than an hour. It's very tempting. I could rent the car for 3 days, go to Scala dei Turchi, among other places, then drop the car off at Trapani, before going to Favignana. I've checked the price from autoeurope.uk, it's very reasonable, 84 pounds for the smallest car, which is much less than a private transfer.

This all sounds very good on paper.

It seems like it's mostly hghway, not too many turns required. Is A29 mostly two-lane or one-lane each way? Is it a busy autostrada like the one from Catania airport to Giardini Naxos?

vteotl

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
Level Contributor
2,768 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: an alternative to Palermo

The A29 it's all two lane each way, like all autostradas, very easy and less busy than between Catania and Giardini.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,860 posts
Save Reply
43. Re: an alternative to Palermo

Prego e grazie vteotl!

With Palermo’s airport located west of the city, the journey to Mazara del Vallo on the easy-to-drive, fast, and toll-free A29 would take about an hour and a quarter. The A29 heads directly to Mazara del Vallo. The drive is especially easy to the Selinunte area, and gets a bit busier from there to the end of the A29 and Mazara del Vallo. I've never been to Mazar del Vallo that there's not traffic!

But you would truly enjoy the flexibility that a car would provide in this area, and the driving along the southern coast (SS115) to the Scala dei Turchi is pleasant and easy!

And if you had a car, you could enjoy lunch at Planeta's Cantine Ulmo in Sambuca di Sicilia.

Planeta Estate:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k4620…

Vagabonda

44. Re: an alternative to Palermo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 03, 2014