We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trips from Palermo in January

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
8 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
day trips from Palermo in January

I will be in Palermo for two and a half days next week, and was interested in spending a day exploring areas outside of Palermo. As I don't want to rent a car, I'd ideally take a day bus tour so I could maximize sites seen, but am having problem finding ones that have January dates. I'm assuming it's because it's off-season? In the absence of an organized tour, what would be the best option to go somewhere like Erice or Agrigento? (I am already planning on going to Monreale on another day.) Or should I go somewhere else, or just spend the time in Palermo? I am open to all suggestions! Thanks in advance!

Ncc Taxi Privato - Pizzuto Rosario
Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
VeloTour
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Gear Rentals, City Tours, Biking Trails
Sicicla
Bike Tours, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals, Gear Rentals, Sightseeing Tours
Sicily Guide Tourism
Walking Tours, Archaeology Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, City Tours
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,370 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: day trips from Palermo in January

You could easily spend 2,5 days in Palermo itself – Allocate half a day to see Monreale’s Duomo, preferably not on a Sunday.

Erice is a 6-hour return journey – Perhaps see Agrigento. Cuffaro runs direct bus service, 2 hours in each direction.

www.cuffaro.info/index.php…

Then take the local bus from Agrigento’s bus station to the Valley of the Temples.

valleyofthetemples.com/getting_to_Agrigento.…

You might also check some of the excursions.

sicilyshoreexcursions.com/Palermo_Tours.htm

sicilyshoreexcursions.com/shore_excursions-f…

Vagabonda

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
8 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trips from Palermo in January

Thanks for the help! I decided to spend my time in Palermo exploring the city (and hope to return in the near future for a longer trip!) I did have a question about visting Monreale - I saw on other posts that AMAT bus no. 389 has suspended service to from Palermo to Monreale? What's the best way to get out there now - does AST still offer a bus from the central bus station (as well as Piazza Indipendenza)? I didn't see anything to the contrary on their website, but my Italian isn't great and I may have missed it. Thanks again for any help!

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trips from Palermo in January

We were there a few days ago, and found, as you say, that the AMAT service is suspended. Not sure why. I think everyone is very fed up about it - there was an article in the daily paper about it yesterday but I didn't understand it all. There is, though, an AST service that runs from near the Piazza della Independenzia (or whatever the square is called -it is just near where the AMAT bus would leave if it were running!). Not sure if it goes from the bus station. I have a feeling that it doesn't, but may be wrong. I forget what number the bus is, but it does say MONREALE in large letters on the front! If you ask, people will point you towards the stop. The buses aren't very frequent - maybe every half hour at some times of the day, less frequent at others. The times are displayed on the bus stop in very small handwriting. We got one from Palermo at 1.30 pm, I think it was. It was a bit late, packed full of students and we had to stand for most of the way! The buses back left at, so far as I remember, 4pm, then there wasn't another till 5.30. You can buy a ticket on the bus or at a tabacchi. It was quite a cold day when we were in Monreale, and we found there was a shortage of places to get a coffee where you could sit down and get warm! Lots of places where you could stand for your coffee, though, but we were tired and wanted a rest.

Edited: 10:10 am, January 20, 2013
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
8 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trips from Palermo in January

Yes, I found that AST was the only public bus running to Monreale. I did pick it up from the central bus station. Unfortunately, it doesn't run as frequently... but, for what it's worth, the bus driver I had going there was very friendly and gave me a little preprinted schedule with the departure times from the bus station in Palermo and from Monreale. (He also stopped en route to let me take a picture of the Duomo in Monreale from below, without my asking!) It was a quick 30-some minutes there (I took the 10am bus there), but took longer with traffic coming back (can't remember if I left at 12:30 or 1:30pm). I bought my round trip ticket on the bus. The schedule, at least for the winter, can be found here:

aziendasicilianatrasporti.it/opencms/opencms…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
376 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trips from Palermo in January

For an alternate day trip try getting the train to cefalu for the day its a wonderfull experience on a slightly more reliable form of transport.

Timetables are on the treinitalia website.It takes about 1 hr from palermo centrale to cefalu.

6. Re: day trips from Palermo in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 04, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Palermo