We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has the Archeological Museum reopened?

Which Palermo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Paul
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Has the Archeological Museum reopened?

Hello! We are planning a trip to Palermo at the end of May. We were there in spring '10, and the museum was due to reopen the day after we left. We've been looking again, and it looks like it's closed again! Do you know if it has reopened, or will be open by the end of next month? Thank you!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,584 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Has the Archeological Museum reopened?

So sorry Circe27, but Palermo’s Museo Archeologico Regionale is once again closed – The museum did reopen in 2010, but then closed again in July 2011.

It was expected to reopen this spring, but there’s still no anticipated date for reopening, and it’s now thought that it may be closed until December.

Vagabonda

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has the Archeological Museum reopened?

I wanted to visit early Summer 2012 and got in touch with the director. I was told 'end of summer 2012 but it is still closed. As a serious student i would have hoped for a short supervised access but not possible.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,584 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Has the Archeological Museum reopened?

Yes, the Museo Archeologico Regionale in Palermo is still closed.

Vagabonda

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has the Archeological Museum reopened?

The (very nice) web-site did say re-opening end of summer 2012 but now say just that it is closed. What a shame. what is the problem? Is it the building as it says? Does it come down to money available? Is anything actually being done

I wonder or is it just mothballed? Pity for the staff and serious students.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,584 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Has the Archeological Museum reopened?

It's closed for restorations, as is the Chiesa della Martorana and the Palazzo Chiaramonte Steri.

Vagabonda

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has the Archeological Museum reopened?

I see that there's activity there in the morning, they are working (slowly) but there are money issues as usual.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,584 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Has the Archeological Museum reopened?

You and I know what that means biondo and the money issues are only getting worse - Unfortunately there's no expected date for the reopening.

Vagabonda

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,037 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has the Archeological Museum reopened?

The money issues might improve, if the museum were opened and tourists came to see it (and spend for admission fees and spend money nearby in shops and restaurants). When it was closed for my own visit to Sicily, I decided that there was nothing else in Palermo that I was burning to see, and decided not to go there at all.

Maybe this is a radical idea, and this doesn't go on in Italy, but tax-free bonds cold be issued to pay for the museum upgrade. It doesn't sound any differnet than in the US when bonds are issued to pay for upgrades to the local sewage treatement plant. the bond coud be repaid with the money raised from admission to the museum.

Edited: 10:58 am, September 17, 2012
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,584 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Has the Archeological Museum reopened?

Sicily is bankrupt and mainland Italy fears that the lack of survives will soon spread to the mainland as well.

bestofsicilyblog.com/2012/07/wall-street-jou…

telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/9410…

Vagabonda

Edited: 11:12 am, September 17, 2012
10. Re: Has the Archeological Museum reopened?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 pm, September 17, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Palermo