We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have to walk to hostel at mid-night in Palermo. Is it safe?

Which Palermo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham
4 posts
Save Topic
Have to walk to hostel at mid-night in Palermo. Is it safe?

I'm going to Palermo. My flight will be arrived at Trapani airport at 21.30 (from Birmingham) I have to catch a coach and will get to Palermo city center at 00.20 (getting of the coach, "Terravision", at Isidoro la Lumia street, 1b (behind the Politeama theatre) My hostel is near train station (Ai Quattro Canti hostel)

Checking on google map, it is very easy to walk along the straight road via Maqueda to the hostel (I think it's quite a main road). About 1.4 km, 20 minute walks,

I am concern about the safety because it is mid-night, but i think it is easy to walk.

Any idea please share or comment about how to get to the hostel.

Kris

(Travelling alone)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,076 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Have to walk to hostel at mid-night in Palermo. Is it safe?

It’s about a 15-minute walk from the Politeama to the Ai Quattro Canti.

It’s generally a safe area to walk – Avoid the port and train station at night.

You still might consider a taxi – Notify the hostel of your very late arrival and ask if they could arrange a taxi.

Vagabonda

Birmingham
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Have to walk to hostel at mid-night in Palermo. Is it safe?

(Just in case)

What about the idea of stay over night at the Trapani airport and wait until morning, but I don't want to do these though.

Is Trapani airport bigger than Rome ciampino airport?

Kris

Birmingham
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Have to walk to hostel at mid-night in Palermo. Is it safe?

Oh, I have just seen the post from Vagabonda.

Thank you so much. I think I am walking to the hostel. Should be alright as Vagabonda said it's qute a save area.

Kris

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,076 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Have to walk to hostel at mid-night in Palermo. Is it safe?

Birgi is open all night, but it’s a fairly dismal airport, though services have improved because of all the Ryanair flights.

The area in Palermo is active and generally safe, but it is late to walk the streets alone, and a taxi would be preferred.

Vagabonda

Birmingham
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Have to walk to hostel at mid-night in Palermo. Is it safe?

Thanks Vagabonda.

Is a taxi driver trustworthy in Palermo? (I mean in a very late night)

Otherwise, it will be very stressful while I am sitting in a taxi.

I am young student travelling alone. That's why safety is my main concern. Especially the first arriving night.

Thank you again.

Kris

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,076 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Have to walk to hostel at mid-night in Palermo. Is it safe?

That's why I suggested you notify your hostel of your very late arrival, and ask if they could arrange a taxi with a reputable driver.

Vagabonda

Midlands England
Level Contributor
369 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have to walk to hostel at mid-night in Palermo. Is it safe?

Hey! I'm planning on doing that.

Vagabond told me to go with my heart so I have to go to Palermo.

My flight arrives at about 21.15 (Trapani airport that is) or so, so would a hotel in Palermo get a taxi for me and what do you think it would cost?

KNYH I'd love to hear how your holiday goes as I don't go unti October when it's cooler.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,076 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Have to walk to hostel at mid-night in Palermo. Is it safe?

So you did opt for Palermo donnieitaly?! :-)

Take the direct Terravision service from Birgi to Palermo – It's very convenient.

www.terravision.eu/trapani_palermo.html

Cost of a taxi would depend on the location of your hotel from Isidoro la Lumia street, 1b (behind the Politeama theatre) where Terravision stops, but you could easily pre-arrange a taxi through your hotel. Secure the rate prior.

Buona Fortuna!

Vagabonda

Midlands England
Level Contributor
369 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Have to walk to hostel at mid-night in Palermo. Is it safe?

WeLL Vagabondo it's your fault :-) You told me to follow my heart (How Italian <g>) dso I must go to Palermo.

"Noisy, vibrant, exciting, dirty" sounds GREAT!

I arrive ab out 21:30 and could get the 22:00 coach for 12 Euros but it takes 103 minutes or about 1hr 40.

A taxi must be faster surely?

Could you guess a ball park cost for me by taxi? So I know if the hotel is giving me a fair quote?

And coming back I have to be at the airport for 12:55 latest so if I went by taxi I wouldn't have to leave either at 05:00 or the coach that gets me in with only about an hour and 30 to spare.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Have to walk to hostel at mid-night in Palermo. Is it safe?

A recent experience with Palermo taxi drivers is sometimes the meters are 'broken', most likely because they do not turn them on. Then they feel free to make up any fare they thing they can get out of you. I don't want to put a damper on things, just throwing this experience in for the sake of the lone, late night travellers.

Other than that we found Palermo grand although normal sensible precautions apply as in any other large European city.