We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best place to stay?

Which Palermo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
4 posts
Save Topic
best place to stay?

Would anybody be able to recommend where to stay for me and best friend? We are in our 20's.. we would like to be close to nice beaches and good bars. I was thinking of Palermo?? But staying near Mondello. Is this the best place for us?? Thank you.

UK
Level Contributor
513 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best place to stay?

You could try the Saracen hotel, whose address is Isola delle Femmine, but really its closer to Capaci.

From there its a (racks brain to remember) 15-20 minute ride into Palermo.

Isola delle Femmine is a seaside village. You might find accommodation there. Very cute. From there you can walk into Capaci village (or tiny town). Both are fascinating and less manic than Palermo, though I do love Palmermo. Capaci is amazing as you still see traditional things like elderly women lowering wicker baskets on a rope, from their balcony, down to the ground, for someone to put their daily newspaper and supplies into, then they pull the rope up themselves. Lots of little shops. The train station is on the edge of the village - about a 10 minute (max, maybe less) walk into the centre of the village.

From Capaci it is a 5-8 min walk to the Sea - very long beach. If you are facing the sea and walk to the right for 20 mins you end up in Isola delle Femmine.

In Palmermo, my favourite (costume) jewellary shop is there. There are streets dedicated to the sale of one item in every shop. A street of bicycles, a street of kitchen applicances and equipment, etc etc.

Palmermo is far bigger than I could have imagined.

Enjoy!

Mrs T

UK
Level Contributor
513 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best place to stay?

Forgot to say there is a lively bar on the border of Capaci and Isola delle Femmine. Can't remember name but everyone talks about it, so you should find it. Lots of Italian guys strutting around there too - does that help? ;oP

london
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best place to stay?

Thank you Mrs T!! That's some great info. I have had a look at some info and pics on Capaci and it looks beautiful, so will look into this. That's funny about the old lady's lovely... you don't see that in the UK... : ) Good on them that would be cool to see and ofcourse take pictures too.

The other place Femme... sounds nice so will check this out too. I do agree we don't really want to be in the centre of Palermo as it will be hectic. We mainly just want somewhere nice to stay, great beach and bars close by. The Italian men is a BONUS... so if any one can recommend where to find them then join in the forum conversation ha!! Thannk you Mrs T xx

UK
Level Contributor
513 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best place to stay?

Thinking about it the bar is near the train station - I think its the Isola delle Femmine train station and its probably more in Isola delle Femmine. They have one of those MEGA Gelato bars in there too. There are other bars but don't know if they attract lots of young lively people. The beach for sitting on is nearer Capachi and ends almost where you meet Isola delle Femmine.

Do you want the link for the Sarcen hotel? Its only a few mins to centre of Capaci on foot. All the locals grab you and talk to you, expecting you to be Italian (well they did to me anyway). Very friendly.

london
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: best place to stay?

Sounds like a good area! If i can get the link that would be fab, thank you.

Thanks for letting me know about the bar's location. Will have to go and have a drink there. Going there in May so am looking forward to it. I am just counting down the days now we have never been sicily before so we just want to have so much fun out there. If you remember any other hot spots do let me know...

Thank you for your ideas! : )

UK
Level Contributor
513 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best place to stay?

It's not a wild party area though, probably quite quiet. But the bar seems to be where all the young people congregate - it was heaving in October.

Can you speak any Italian?

Here is the hotel.

http://www.hotelsaracen.it/

It is not a young persons hotel, more a family and old folks and groups! It has two outdoor pools though, one at the front and one at the back, plus their own private beach, which I would imagine wold not start (with sun beds etc) until June 1st, but I could be wrong.

However, if you google Capaci lots of apartments come up for rent, starting at £323 for the week.

Let me know how you got on.

Mrs T

london
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: best place to stay?

Hi Mrs T,

Thank you for sending me the hotel link. I have had a look but think we may rent an apartment now.

I can't speak any Italian so need to learn some basics before going there!! I have a friend who speaks Italian so i will make sure she teaches me a little.

I will let you know how we get on. Thanks again for your ideas and suggestions.

Regards

Mel

UK
Level Contributor
513 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best place to stay?

Look on amazon (dot com) at the Earworms CD's - Italian. All the reviews are true - its based on rhythm and music which taps into the musical (best memory) part of the brain. If you listen to the CD every time you cook or drive (for instance) you will learn a few handy phrases. Its also based on the lexical approach to learning, which means you can mix and match words. You will be surprised when out there how many sentence and phrases jump into your mouth, just when you need them. I astounished my family who all sat open mouthed at me jabbering away!

Enjoy.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,119 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: best place to stay?

20s, bars and beach - Stay in Mondello!

You could then also reach Palermo's nightlife.

Many of Palermo’s best bars are near Olivella, via Candelai (near Olivella) and the Teatro Massimo area - via Principe di Belmonte and around via della Libertà.

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,119 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: best place to stay?

Hi nikitoza,

“Hot” is very relative!

Catania usually has wider ranges from maximum and minimum temperatures than Palermo.

Hover over icons to retrieve values:

weather2travel.com/whentotravel/index.php…

weather2travel.com/whentotravel/index.php…

Sicily’s seas are warm in September after the summer’s heat.

www.eurometeo.com/english/meteomar/id_tme

Why not fly from Naples to Sicily? Intra-Italian low-cost flights are fast and inexpensive, sometimes less expensive than travel by train.

Will you hire a car?

Salema is very local, so if you’re looking for something similar, possibly consider Capaci or Isola del Femmine, just west of Palermo on Sicily’s northern coast - Time has stood still, and yet the town has a train station, and you would have access to the markets and sites of Palermo. You could even ferry to Ustica.

Riserva Naturale Orientata Capo Gallo is nearby.

www.parks.it/riserva.capo.gallo/Eindex.html

Ustica:

www.aapit.pa.it/datad/comuni/comunea.asp…

www.palermo-sicilia.it/english/ustica.htm

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/ustica/

palermoweb.com/cittadelsole/…ustica.htm

http://www.ustica.org/

best place to stay?:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187890-i418-k2699…

Capaci:

http://www.comune.capaci.pa.it/

palermotourism.com/datad/comuni/comunea.asp…

www.palermo-sicilia.it/english/capaci.htm

en.comuni-italiani.it/082/020/index.html

Capaci Accommodations:

www.bed-and-breakfast-sicily.it/citta.cfm… www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com/town.cfm…

With a car, you might also consider the area east of Palermo around Casteldaccia, Poticello or Aspra, or even around Capo d'Orlando.

The southwest around Sciacca is also very local, but a car would be best in this area as well.

The southeast has some lovely Baroque towns and villages along the coast like Sampieri or Donnalucata.

You would have many, many possibilities all along the coast. The northwest, southwest, southeast and northeast all have very local areas.

Vagabonda