We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus for Monreale and Catacombs

Which Palermo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dover, NH
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bus for Monreale and Catacombs

We are on a cruise and will be stopping at Palermo. We want to visit Monreale and catacombs in the morning and then take the train to Cefalu in the afternoon. Can anyone tell us what bus to take and the best way of doing this? Catacombs first? Is there a bus that goes to Catacombs and Monreale?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,999 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus for Monreale and Catacombs

I cannot help re Buses but do not miss Monreale it was the highlight of a recent visit to Sicily,

I think from Palermo a Train is best for Cefalu.

london
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus for Monreale and Catacombs

Hi,

you can take a local bus 389

link here ( you just type monreale, or the street in monreale and it will search it for you)

Anyway I did put all the stops here for you ( that's where the bus starts, or you can choose any of the others if they are nearer to you)

http://www.palermoweb.com

- P.ZZA INDIPENDENZA (start)

- C.so Calatafimi

- Rocca

- S P69

- V.Fontana del Drago

- P.zza Vitt.Veneto

- V. D'Acquisto

- P.zza Vitt. Emanuele

- VIA D'ACQUISTO (Monreale) ENd

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,160 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus for Monreale and Catacombs

Monreale and the Catacombe dei Cappuccini both close at lunch, so get a very early start. Monreale is the more significant sight, but you would need to decide which to see first. It is quite ambitious to see both in one morning.

Linea Verde ("L/V") or Green Line runs from Porta Felice along Via Vittorio Emanuele to Piazza Indipendenza.

Bus #105 runs from Porta Felice to Piazza Indipendenza.

http://www.amat.pa.it/Le_Linee/105.htm

The Catacombs are located on Piazza Cappuchin. You can easily walk from Piazza Indipendenza – Just follow Via Cappuchin to the traffic lights, turn right, and the catacombs are at the end of the cul-de-sac.

frommers.com/destinations/palermo/A26202.html

Take Bus #389 from Piazza Indipendenza in Palermo for Monreale to see the magnificent

Duomo – 30 minutes.

http://www.amat.pa.it/Le_Linee/389.htm

Palermo's city buses are operated by AMAT and they sell a one-day ticket for around €3.35. Buses around the historic center cost under a euro. Tickets for 2 hours run around a euro and can also be used on the metro.

You can check all bus routes and schedules here.

AMAT:

http://www.amat.pa.it/

Find Routes:

www.amat.pa.it/Pagine/Inglese/ROUTES.htm

Palermo Map – click to enlarge:

frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-20…

Planetware Maps:

planetware.com/maps-/italy-palermo-i-si-p.htm

planetware.com/map/palermo-city-center-map-i…

sophie8 is correct – the train is the best way to arrive in Cefalu – 45 minutes.

Trenitalia:

http://www.trenitalia.it/en/index.html

Vagabonda

New York
Level Contributor
42 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus for Monreale and Catacombs

Please note that the 309 bus will also take you from Piazza Indipendenza along Corso Calatafimi to Via Cuba/Via Pindemonte, where you get off to visit the catacombs a few blocks away. However, only the 389 bus will take you all the way up Corso Calatafimi to Monreale (and back).

Doing both Palermo/Monreale and Cefalù in the same day will prove tricky. The problem is that both traffic and trains are often difficult. Keep this in mind in your planning.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,160 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus for Monreale and Catacombs

I agree - seeing Palermo, Monreale and Cefalu all in one day would be hectic.

Vagabonda

Littlehampton...
Level Contributor
619 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus for Monreale and Catacombs

One of the thing I remember about my stay in Palermo was that everywhere apart from restaurants closed from noon to 3pm so, even if you were to cover Monreale and the Catacombs in the morning and catch a train to Cefalu, the same situation would apply in Cefalu - I spent nearly two hours walking the streets in the rain because there was nowhere open!

Personally I would suggest you set aside the morning for Monreale, have your lunch back in Palermo then walk down to the Catacombs for 3pm. That way you are already in Palermo to make your way back to your Cruise. I found I didn't actually spend much time at the Catacombs although I found them fascinating.

Have a great time.

Deb

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,160 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus for Monreale and Catacombs

Hi Deb, :-)

Good advice – Monreale is the more significant sight to see, and as first on your list, no doubt you would see it, and it would be wise to be closer to your ship later in the day.

Vagabonda

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
41 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus for Monreale and Catacombs

So the catacombs opens back up at 3:00?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,160 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus for Monreale and Catacombs

Hours of operation for the Catacombe dei Cappuccini (091.6524156) are the same every day - 8.30-13.00, and 14,30-18,00.

Vagabonda

10. Re: Bus for Monreale and Catacombs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:25 am, December 23, 2009