We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car from mainland to drop in Sicily

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
57 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Rental car from mainland to drop in Sicily

I have been looking thru the forums for a clear answer to my question with little success. I know I will rent a car to tour southern Italy. I know I will be crossing by ferry to Messina to tour Sicily and then fly back to Rome and home. There seem to be issues with taking a rental car across to Messina and dropping it on the island. Are those issues modest enough to cross with the rental car or am I better off dropping the mainland car at Via San Giovanni and renting another car in Sicily for that part of my touring?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Grazie,

Mike

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,471 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car from mainland to drop in Sicily

Car rental check www.auto-europe.com www.auto-europe.co.uk

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Non EU citizens require an International driving permit for Italy

Traffic and ZTL info roninrome.com/transportation/driving-italy

Accommodation www.venere.com www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com

ww.italia.it/en/home.html

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,117 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car from mainland to drop in Sicily

Salve MikeandWilla!

Cars are ferried across the Straits of Messina all the time.

Notify your car rental company on booking that you intend to ferry the car, and request information about policy and insurance – It varies from supplier to supplier, so you won’t get a clear response. It’s best to contact the broker directly and ask your specific questions for the most accurate responses to your questions, and then be sure it’s all written in your contract.

Contact AutoEurope and ring several times to secure the most information possible.

Vagabonda

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,742 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car from mainland to drop in Sicily

We have done exactly what you are going to do, some years ago. We had a car from Avis that we picked up in Lamezia Terme, toured the south, did the ferry crossing from San Giovanni to Messina and dropped off the car in Taormina. All went very smoothly and without any problem at all.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,117 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car from mainland to drop in Sicily

Be sure you are insured for the crossing - https:/…

Vagabonda

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
57 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car from mainland to drop in Sicily

Thanks to all for your helpful replies. Renting on the mainland and dropping in Sicily sounds doable. Now, I need to track down a rental company that is willing to cooperate.

Grazie,

Mike

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,117 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental car from mainland to drop in Sicily

Prego MikeandWilla,

Contact AutoEurope and ask many questions, especially about the suppliers and their policies, and also about insurance on ferries.

Buona Fortuna!

Vagabonda

7. Re: Rental car from mainland to drop in Sicily

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, April 26, 2014