We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Messina to Santa Caterina Villarmosa

Which Messina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
M C
Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Messina to Santa Caterina Villarmosa

I am arriving in the port of Messina with my family in July. We only have about 8 hours on shore and I am wondering if this is enough time to travel to Santa Caterina Villarmosa to see where my grandmother grew up. Does anyone know about how long the drive is? Also, how is the best way to get there- rent a car or hire a driver?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,460 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Messina to Santa Caterina Villarmosa

Welcome to Sicily M C!

What a pity you have so little time!

Unfortunately Santa Caterina Villarmosa is quite a distance from Messina, at least a 2,5-hour drive in each direction.

It would be risky to attempt this drive on your own - Consider prearranging a driver.

http://www.sicilylife.com/

www.sicilylimousineservice.com

Vagabonda

M C
Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Messina to Santa Caterina Villarmosa

Thank you Vagabonda for your informative answer. I thought we might not have enough time. We might stick with our backup plan of visiting Mt Etna and save this trip for another visit when we have more time.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,460 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Messina to Santa Caterina Villarmosa

Opportunity missed M C, but even Mount Etna is a long journey from Messina and not much less than Santa Caterina Villarmosa, which is mostly autostrada driving. Etna is a 2-hour drive from Messina.

Hopefully you'll visit your ancestral time some time in the future!

All the best -

Vagabonda

4. Re: Drive from Messina to Santa Caterina Villarmosa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 01, 2014