We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beech closest to port

3 posts
Save Topic
Beech closest to port

I've been reading through the reviews telling readers to go elsewhere, but what I'd really like to know is how does one get from the ship (Carnival) to the closest decent beech. I'm going there in May 2013 with my 71yo mother who doesn't want to do much this day. The next day is a long excursion day. She says she would be happy to just put her toes in the water then get lunch. I'd rather it had an OK view, but really just want close and convenient. After dipping our toes ..... any recommendations for food?

Messina, Italy
11 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Beech closest to port

I agree Doddis does the best cocktails, but I think it's a little off trek for passengers to go to, have you ever seen them trying to cross the roads from the Fountain...?Then there is nothing else for them to wander to on that end of town. Which is why I think it's always better to head for the centre. I disagree regarding Cassata, it's certainly better in Messina than in Palermo. Which dessert would you recommend - Sette Veli? I agree regarding Billè - only been in once since the new owners, never again. Bar Abbate does have a wide selection of ice creams too, which is really near to the ships.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,959 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Beech closest to port

But we digress….

In summary, there are no beaches near the port in Messina, and the nearest beaches aren’t the best, and given so few precious hours in Sicily, there are destinations that have more to offer than Messina!

Vagabonda

Messina, Italy
11 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Beech closest to port

Good note to keep to the point, I was thinking the same. There are beaches via the tram, if they "just want to tip their toes" as requested, obviously not as good as those further afield. But, don't underestimate the view of Italy for firstimers. Also there are a lot of repeat passengers who just want to toddle around on their own, and quite often not too far from the ship, plus the crew whch normally amounts to1,000 on the ships of today. Tis a shame Messina is no tdoing more for the 205 cruiseship dockings this year. One can always hope. In the meantime I see Vagabonda and Rosario have both been providing excellent service to those who like to delve outside of ship excursions. Good on you.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,959 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Beech closest to port

Grazie mille Jules I....

Although there have been a few requests about Messina, the vast majority of visitors including repeat visitors request information for Taormina, Mount Etma, the Godfather towns....

But it is a shame that Messina isn’t doing more to entice cruisers to stay locally, and it’s also a shame that public transport doesn’t facilitate visits to the desired locations further afield from Messina, as it’s a pity the ship’s schedules are so short in port, and also arriving on Sundays.

But one can always hope!

Vagabonda

25. Re: Beech closest to port

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 06, 2014