We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Sicily, then to Rome via the train

Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Sicily, then to Rome via the train

Hello, we are a family of 3 (child, age 7) who will be going to Sicily for 4 days. We have never been there. We would like to know what the "must sees" are! Also recommended places to eat, etc. We will then travel to Rome via the train. Any thoughts on the train travel in Italy? We wil arrive at the main train station in Rome and will need a good (safe) hotel near the station. (We also have never been to Rome, so any suggestions on visitng there are also greatly appreciated!) I realize this is a pretty rigorous schedule, especially travelling with a child, but when the opportunity arises, we must take advantage of it!!

THANKS!!!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,359 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Going to Sicily, then to Rome via the train

There’s left luggage at the Pompeii site - no need to backtrack from Sorrento.

www.pompeiturismo.it/index.php…

goeurope.about.com/cs/italy/a/pompeii.htm

An earlier thread with information…

Facilitis at Pompeii train station:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187786-i1888-k137…

Vagabonda

Sonoma County...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Going to Sicily, then to Rome via the train

The post from Aug. 2007 on Tripadvisor does mention the "small check luggage" facility at the excavations for backpacks etc.... this was closed in early 2008 during our last visit and was full on at least two other visits we have made there over the years. Depending on how much luggage you are dealing with I prefer not to roll or drag full size bags around while touring... the additional time spent lugging them around and checking them in and getting them back is not worth it to us... and we rarely depend on facilities being available... but you can trust your luck....

Hawaii
4 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Going to Sicily, then to Rome via the train

Hi again Vagabonda,

I need your advice. I am wondering whether to stay 4 nights in Rome and 1 in Sorrento or 3 in Rome and 2 in Sorrento. What do you think?

Aloha,

MollyHawaii

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,359 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Going to Sicily, then to Rome via the train

Sorry for the delayed response MollyHawaii – I was also on holiday.

Spend 2 nights in Sorrento – That would offer one full day for seeing the sites. One night wouldn’t be worth the effort.

Best Wishes!

Vagabonda

15. Re: Going to Sicily, then to Rome via the train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:40 am, October 29, 2009