We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to pick up car

Which Catania hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rahway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
325 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Where to pick up car

We will be landing in Catania on a Saturday at 7:25 PM and want to go to Siracusa. We will be in Sicily until approximately Thursday and we can rent a car the whole time.

Should we pick up the car at Catania airport? I have read so many scary things about driving in Catania so I am wondering if this includes the airport or not.

If we should not pick up the car at Catania airport, I have checked Interbus website and it seems the latest bus that night would be at 8:10 which I am not confident we could catch. Are there any other transport options? Or should we stay the night in Catania and then take the first morning bus to Siracusa?

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to pick up car

No, there arent't issues of any kind in or around Catania airport. The airport is out of town, you wouldn't need at all to drive into Catania, the Tangenziale and Siracusa are clearly signposted.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,460 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to pick up car

Catania's airport is located west of the city, so if you were to hire the car at the airport, you would avoid the city entirely.

Vagabonda

Rahway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
325 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to pick up car

We might be changing itinerary. We arrive in Catania around 7 PM on a Saturday. I am starting to think it might be easiest to just stay there for the night and then leave the next morning for Mandranova.

If we do that, we would stay in the city of Catania rather than near the airport, so we could get out and walk around a bit that night. So then where could we pick up the car the next day? Go back to the airport? Or take a bus to somewhere on the way to Mandranova?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,460 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to pick up car

Then return to the airport and hire the car at Catania's airport.

Vagabonda

5. Re: Where to pick up car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 13, 2015