We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Revision to hotel next to the Catania Airport

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
371 posts
363 reviews
Save Topic
Revision to hotel next to the Catania Airport

I checked out Castello D Urso for the date we wanted to stay but they were booked ( I found this doing a TA search. I am looking for a hotel that is a relatively fast drive to the airport. Our flight leaves Nov 9 at 12:15 PM. We will be coming down from Taormina where we are booked for 2 nights. I guess I wanted a hotel that is close enough to the airport so that I don't have to get stuck in traffic. It would also be great if there was free parking, and is somewhat reasonable 3-4stars. Hope this is enough information. Due to the traffic situation, I am really not sure how "close" some of the hotels are from the airport. Thanks in advance.

ldtc2

Boston...
Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Revision to hotel next to the Catania Airport

We have taken early flights out of Catania on four occasions. We always stay at a hotel in downtown Catania somewhere along or near Via Etnea and take Alibus 457 to the airport. A few months ago we dropped off our rental car at the airport and took Alibus 457 into Catania. Then in the morning at 5:30 we took the bus back to the airport.

The bus only costs 1 euro and you get to spend the evening in Catania. Via Etnea is a nice area. Even if you stay at a hotel near the airport, you will need to get a taxi to take you to the airport for your flight. Search for "Alibus 457" on this forum. A lot has been written about it.

P.S. Don't even think of driving in Catania. It is not for the faint of heart.

Edited: 7:58 pm, May 27, 2013
Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
371 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Revision to hotel next to the Catania Airport

Thanks JoeD,

I haven't researched cars yet but I thought we would be dropping the car off at the airport itself.Then get on the flight. Maybe it's not done that way there? Is the car drop off far from the airport - they don't provide shuttle service to the terminals?

We will have the car so are you suggesting that we drop the car off a day earlier and then take the bus to and fro Catania?

The thought of lugging luggage on a bus is not my idea of fun ;)

Boston...
Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Revision to hotel next to the Catania Airport

Sorry for not replying sooner. Since your flight leaves at about noon (our flights have always been very early in the morning), you will have plenty of time to drop off the car. The drop off area is a short walk from the terminal.

However, dropping off the car the day before and taking the bus from and to the airport lets you visit the center of Catania without dealing with an auto. Bus 457 easily accomodates luggarge since many riders are going to the airport. Good luck either way.

In researching autos, be sure to check AutoEurope (not AutoEuropa, which is a shady dealer)

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
371 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Revision to hotel next to the Catania Airport

Hi JoeD

Many thanks for your suggestion and letting me know where the terminal is. I will dwell on the issue. And, thanks about the car rental place. I recall reading some horror stories on TA relative to that issue. So, I will look into the company you suggested.

LDTC2

5. Re: Revision to hotel next to the Catania Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 05, 2014