We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Montagnola on Etna - worth to see or not?

Which Catania hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vilnius
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
La Montagnola on Etna - worth to see or not?

hi,

Our family will go for sightseeing at Rifugio Sapienza on Etna in the begining of Oct. And we're considering if it's worth to take funivia ride up to La Montagnola to look around. Due to lack of time and our traveling with kids we are not able to go all the way up. I've tired to search for some pictures at La Montagnola, but couldn't find any. Is it worth going there? Is it possible to see any crater from there or anything else nice to take pictures? Thanks.

Vilnius
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Montagnola on Etna - worth to see or not?

Any comments?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,479 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: La Montagnola on Etna - worth to see or not?

Welcome to Sicily mrDainius!

This recent thread discusses Etna and the funivia - Yes, it's worth taking the funivia and walking the craters.

Climbing Mount Etna at night: Is this possible/advisable?:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k5783…

Vagabonda

Vilnius
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Montagnola on Etna - worth to see or not?

Thank you, Vagabonda for reply!. I just would like to clarify - I meant if it's worth taking funivia up and walking near around La Montagnola, not taking long hour walks, as we won't have so much time. As I understood from what I've read, everybody goes up with funivia and further up with cars and by foot, and nobody stays just at La Montagnola, so the question came up - maybe there's nothing interesting around?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,479 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: La Montagnola on Etna - worth to see or not?

Yes, it would be worth it even if not going onward with the 4X4 or trekking any further - You'll still be able to walk around a bit.

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,479 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: La Montagnola on Etna - worth to see or not?

Mount Montagnola is one of the most imposing temporary cones on Mt. Etna; it took shape south of the Central Crater on the southern slope where it opened up at a height of 2,500 m. following the eruption of 1763.

funiviaetna.com/versione_inglese/etna_e_il_t…

Vagabonda

Vilnius
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Montagnola on Etna - worth to see or not?

Thanks again, we'll take your advice of course. Can't wait to see myself volcano and other beauties of Sicily, that you've recommended in this forum :)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,479 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: La Montagnola on Etna - worth to see or not?

Etna is impressive - You could also walk the Silvestri Craters at Rifugio Sapienza, but the additional elevation with the funivia, and the additional craters at Montagnola would enhance your experiences.

Buon viaggio!

Vagabonda

Rennes, France
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: La Montagnola on Etna - worth to see or not?

Hi,

We are going to Sicily in April with our children 5 and 7 years old. We expected the same program as you : funicular up Montagnola refuge with our children. Did you follow this program? Is it worth ? Can we do a nice walk at that level? Thank you very much for all the information you can give us about it. The price of the cableway is it ok compared to what there is to see there?

Fanny

9. Re: La Montagnola on Etna - worth to see or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 26, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Catania