We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt. Etna

Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Mt. Etna

How long does it take to get to the volcano from the port.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,197 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt. Etna

It would take about an hour and a half to drive from the port in Catania to Etna depending on traffic.

Vagabonda

New York City
Level Contributor
67 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt. Etna

Vagabonda - I am in need of some specific information about self driving to Mt. Etna.

I will be driving from Siracusa, and want to know exact and shortest route to take. Do I need to go through Catania, or is there some other shorter and scenic way? I keep reading about north side and south side access, but most tours seem to start from east side (Catania). Where do I drive to get to the south access, the north access?

Where does one find the funicular that takes people up to high level, and is there only one location for such funicular? Where does one transfer to a jeep, or truck, to ascend higher up?

I can't find on map that hotel called Refugio Sapienza. Is it in Nicolosi?

Thank you for your help.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,197 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt. Etna

Ciao 360traveller,

If you are driving from Siracusa and you’d like to take Etna’s funivia, you would want to visit Etna Sud.

Siracusa is 100 km from the Cantoniera dell'Etna via Nicolosi and it would take approximately an hour and three-quarters to drive.

You can check the driving routes on ViaMichelin – Enter “Siracusa” and “Cantoniera dell'Etna”.

Nicolosi and Zafferana Etnea are the gateway towns to Mount Etna and Rifugio Sapienza. There is a loop you can drive on the volcano from one to the other.

Rifugio Sapienza is located between Nicolosi and Zafferana Etnea, and Rifugio Sapienza is the highest point you can drive on Etna, and this is where you would find the Etna funivia.

http://www.funiviaetna.com/

Once you’ve taken the funivia, you would then take the 4X4 vehicles.

The look is very different between Etna Sud and Etna Nord. Etna Nord is forested, but Etna Sud is barren, and looks as you would expect a volcano to look.

There are also 4X4 excursions at Etna Nord. Etna Nord is reached from Linguaglossa where you would access Piano Provenzana. Piano Provenzana is the center for excursions and walks on Etna’s northern side. The 4WD excursions are organised from here, but there is no funivia.

www.guidetnanord.com/en/exc_sommitali.asp

Best wishes!

Vagabonda

New York City
Level Contributor
67 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt. Etna

Very helpful - but I am just confused on one matter.

Are Cantoniera dell'Etna and Refugio Sapienza at the same place - and is this where the funivia is?

thank you

Edited: 12:54 pm, September 27, 2012
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,197 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mt. Etna

Hi 360traveller,

ViaMichelin has chosen "Cantoniera dell'Etna" as the terminology for directions to Rifugio Sapienza, so essentially yes to your question.

If you were to look at the ViaMichelin map, you would see "Sapienza" at the terminating location.

Once you were to arrive in Nicolosi or Zafferanea Etnea, the rest of the journey to Rifugio Sapienza becomes very clear.

All the best -

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,197 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mt. Etna

By the way, those series of bends mentioned by ViaMichelin are easy to drive switchbacks and not challenging.

Vagabonda

7. Re: Mt. Etna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, December 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Catania