We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

catania port

madrid
11 posts
Save Topic
catania port

Does anyone knows how far is Catania port from town?

I'm going to make a cruiser fare and it will stop there. There is an excursion into Taormina an Etna slopes and I am not enthusiastic in it. I would prefer going down town and walk around there talking to people better that the hole journey seeing fields and stones.

Does anybody think will be worth of it or better take the fare into Taormina?

Whati about Marmaris, Patmos and Santorini? Does anyone can tell me what todo the best in ther?

Aylesbury, Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: catania port

I hope this catches you before your trip!!

The port is probably 15 minutes walk from the main square in Catania, Piazza del Duomo. Catania is a bit scary at first as there are lots of near derelict looking buildings and the place generally feels a bit run down. Your idea of getting into town and having a walk and a talk is a good one though, as hopefully you'll get to see beyond the first impression.

If you want to go to Taormina from Catania, DONT get a cab unless you have money to burn. We were quoted 60 - 80 euros each way!!

The railway station is right by the port (5 mins walk max). Trains run hourly (at least) to Taormina and only cost about 6 to 7 euros return. The trip takes about 45 mins, but on a clear day the views of Etna and the Eastern part of the island will make the journey fly by.

Taormina is expensive and you could save money by eating in Giardini Naxos which is at the bottom of the outcrop that Taormina sits upon. A small seaside town, which was almost deserted when we were there last Friday.

The town of Taormina is delightful. The architecture is amazing and views of the coast line are breathtaking. A short cable car takes you down to a beach which is also worth a look if you like natural beauty spots.

Get answers to your questions about Catania