We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Days/1 Night in Sicily - Help!! :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
2 Days/1 Night in Sicily - Help!! :)

Hello -

I am staying in Malta for a week and am very interested in spending some time in Sicily. All the ferries I've seen to Sicily are day trips with tour groups. We would much prefer to come on our own and explore what the island has to offer in 2 full days, with an overnight stay. We will be in town in mid September. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

California
Level Contributor
12,522 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Days/1 Night in Sicily - Help!! :)

from what i gather, a short ferry ride from Malta lets you off in Pozzallo. I don't know anything about this destination but I can recommend finding your way to Ortigia, the historic picturesque old town of Siracuse. You won't regret it...depending how far from Pozzallo, that's where I would spend the night.

italyonmymind.com.au/the-market-in-ortigia-s…

italyheaven.co.uk/sicily/siracusaortigia.html

https://www.summerinitaly.com/guide/pozzallo

Cambridge
Level Contributor
3 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Days/1 Night in Sicily - Help!! :)

I'd say spend extra time in Malta and visit Sicily on another holiday.

If you are determined to go and the ferry goes to Pozzallo consider visiting Noto and Modica.

Towns in the SE corner of Sicily are all very impressive baroque style because they were rebuilt in the 17C after an earthquake and Noto is one of the best. Modica is famous for chocolate which is made to an ancient recipe so is different to modern chocolate.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,451 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Days/1 Night in Sicily - Help!! :)

Welcome to Sicily Kathleen K!

A week in Malta would probably suffice.

Will you depart from Malta for home, or depart for home from Sicily?

Virtu Ferries runs crossings from Malta to Pozzallo, but you might also fly Air Malta daily to Catania, and then enjoy Siracusa or Taormina.

Air Malta also flies to Palermo, but not every day of the week.

Vagabonda

Edited: 7:29 pm, September 08, 2016
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,451 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Days/1 Night in Sicily - Help!! :)

If you were to arrive in Pozzallo, you might enjoy Ragusa or Modica, but ultimately Siracusa, especially if flying from Catania for your departure from Sicily, although there's also direct bus service from either Ragusa or Palermo to Aeroporto Catania.

Vagabonbda

5. Re: 2 Days/1 Night in Sicily - Help!! :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, September 10, 2017