We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Please with Itinerary

New Zealand
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Help Please with Itinerary

We are planning to spend 7 days in Sicily in September and would like some advice on where to base ourselves. We fly into Catania and will hire a car & thought we would base ourselves somewhere and do day trips from there.

We are into enjoying the atmosphere of places & are foodies - don't like to rush around too much. I have read a couple of books and forums but can't seem to get a feel of where to stay as it all sounds amazing! I would like to go to the islands but not sure if we have enough time?

We will then either fly or drive up to the amalfi coast to stay a week there - we are at the beginning of our planning & would appreciate any feedback to help us.

Thanks

Liz

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Please with Itinerary

Hi liz,

Where you need to stay depends on which of Sicily abundance of sights and experiences you want to do in 7 days. What draws you to Sicily besides the fantastic food?

I loved the Aeolian Islands and spent 5 nights on Lipari with visits to others. If you are going to spend a week on the Amalfi Coast, then I would not do more of the same.

That said, I have visited the Amalfi Coast twice and once was in September. It was very, very crowded. If I wanted beautiful scenery and fewer crowds, I think I would choose the Aeolians and skip the Amalfi. If you did that, you would have 2 weeks in Sicily!

Still not enough, but much better than a week.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,694 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Please with Itinerary

Welcome to Sicily boogleNewZealand!

Catania is a convenient base via public transport, but you wouldn’t base in Catania with a car.

If you plan to hire a car, then perhaps reconsider a base in Catania.

And perhaps consider Siracusa, day trip to Catania via public transport, spend a night or two in Taormina, and then return the car in Milazzo, and cross to the Aeolians.

Continue onward to Naples by sea.

And yes, the Amalfi Coast is still busy in September.

Vagabonda

New Zealand
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Please with Itinerary

We just love Italy, the people/history /food. We have already spent a week in the Tuscany region a few years back & decided this time to explore the amalfi coast then saw how close we were to Sicily & decided to spend a week there - although we really no little about it (lots of reading to be done). We really just want to experience Sicily as locals if that makes sense.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Please with Itinerary

Thanks for your feedback . We do not want to stay in catania - we are flying in there only. Just wanted some feedback on where the best place to base ourselves would be to explore Sicily by car.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,694 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Please with Itinerary

Then perhaps hire the car and base in the southeast around Modica.

…viamichelin.com/web/…Italy-Sicily

…viamichelin.com/web/…Italy-Sicily

Vagabonda

Edited: 7:03 pm, March 07, 2015
New Zealand
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Please with Itinerary

Thanks so much, I will read your references.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,694 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Please with Itinerary

Prego boogleNewZealand,

Ragusa province is genuine and authentic, beautiful, and UNESCO, and offers the opportunity to experience everyday life.

Vagabonda

CA
Level Contributor
549 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Please with Itinerary

Here's an idea on what you can do with a base in Modica. http://cathyscamera.net/?cat=40&order=asc

After a late arrival in Catania (10 pm arrival), we spent one night in Catania, exploring for a couple of hours the next morning before driving to Modica for five nights. We had a great time.

We're head back to Sicily in May for eight nights -- it's a very special place.

Enjoy!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,694 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Please with Itinerary

And this area has so many attractions to see, but also genuine experiences.

Thanks for sharing aafflyer!

Vagabonda

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
672 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Please with Itinerary

Dear Vagabonda

Coming back to Sicily and staying in Taormina for 6 days before heading to Torchiara a my family

Hotels ii Picolo Giardino or Hotel Isabella Restaurants you would like

no Driving, have hired a tour company, to pu at Catania Airport on 19 Aprile and to take us to Messina train station for ferry/train to mainland on 24 Aprile company is with Sebastian

PM anytime today? getting nervous. 6 months since the world changed around me and life is very unsure

My blessings to you

Veronica