We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights in Sicily

Durban
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
5 nights in Sicily

I need some information on Sicily: I am traveling with a car and want to base ourselves in 1 place. We fly out of Catania. We arrive 13th fly out 18th. Which places are best to see? Can we do the whole island in 5 days? I would like to see the historic places, mt Etna etc. beaches are not important this trip. We were thinking: Palermo, agrigento, Taormina, Catania, Syracuse. What do you suggest? We will be coming in by ferry to Messina. Thanks

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,984 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 nights in Sicily

Welcome to Sicily Joan591025!

Sicily is a 2-week itinerary, so with only 5 days and an arrival in Messina and a departure from Catania, focus on Eastern Sicily and perhaps base in Taormina and Siracusa with a night in Agrigento between the two.

With an arrival in Messina, begin with Taormina, see Etna from Taormina, then spend a night in Agrigento, and end with two nights in Siracusa.

Only see Catania via public transport, and perhaps only if you have a late departing flight. You could then park at the airport, take the bus to the city, store your luggage at the train station, and then return to the airport by bus.

If you were to skip Agrigento, then you would have time for Catania, but it would be a pity to miss Agrigento.

You might also consider spending that one night between Taormina and Siracusa in Piazza Armerina. Then you would check into your hotel, but then continue onward to Agrigento, but return to Piazza Armerina for the night. This option would offer the additional opportunity to visit the Villa Romana del Casale. There's no left luggage anywhere in Piazza Armerina, so it's advantageous to be able to leave your luggage at the hotel. Piazza Armerina is also nearer Siracusa, so you'd be more optimally positioned for your drive the next day to Siracusa.

Vagabonda

Durban
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 nights in Sicily

Thank you so much for your info. We actually have 6 days as we fly at 11.30 on the 6th night. So maybe 2 nights Taurimo, 1 night Piazzo Arnerino, 1 night Siracusa and then the last night Catania. If we were to base ourselves in one place and drive to Agreginto and Siracusa, where would be the best place to stay for 4 nights.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,984 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 nights in Sicily

Prego Joan591025,

Siracusa and Taormina are both within easy reach of Catania's airport, so it's not necessary to spend a last night in Catania. So much time is lost packing and unpacking, and checking in and out of hotels.

Spend two nights in Siracusa, so then consider two nights in Taormina, one night in Piazza Armerina, and two nights in Siracusa.

Since there's so much more to see and do in Siracusa, if you only had one base, Siracusa is a wonderful base, but you could also base in Taormina. Neither Taormina nor Siracusa is near Piazza Armerina or Agrigento.

Vagabonda

Durban
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 nights in Sicily

Thank you for your very valuable information. Think we will do as you suggest. 2 nights Taormina, piazza Armerina,2 nights Siracusa, then go to Catania for the last day. What sights should we see in the places we are going? Temple - agrigento, Mt Etna Taorima but not sure about Siracusa?

Durban
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 nights in Sicily

Forgot to add notification by email!

Hull, England...
Level Contributor
20 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 nights in Sicily

Hi, might I suggest it may be worth you venturing a little further south?

We are staying in Modica and you could easily do 2 of the Unesco Heritage towns in one day - in our time here we've explored Modica, Noto, Ragusa Ibla and the Ortigia area of Syracusa - all are beautiful and worth a trip in their own right

Durban
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 nights in Sicily

Hi

We are staying in Noto for one night so hopefully that is good. Which heritage sights are you referring to?

Thanks for your input. We are staying 1 night in Taurimo, Piazza Ameriino, Noto and 2 nights in Syracuse. We were advised not to stay in Catania?

Regards

san francisco, CA
Level Contributor
60 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 nights in Sicily

Please let us know how your trip turned out. I am looking at a similar itinerary and I would love to hear any tips you have!

Hull, England...
Level Contributor
20 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 nights in Sicily

Joan, the towns of Noto, Modica Bassa and Ragusa Ibla are all Unesco sites in their own right - of the 3 Modica was my favourite but all are beautiful.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
698 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 nights in Sicily

007wife,

I did a trip report of my 3.5 week visit to Sicily in mid-April to mid-May this year. Search for Spello05 and it should come up. I was able to do most everything I wanted during my visit, and it should give you some good ideas as to what is possible.

Hope it helps. Sicily is beautiful! Buon viaggio!