We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

young couple in sicily

kent, uk
1 post
Save Topic
young couple in sicily

My partner and i are thinking of going to sicily this summer on holiday, we are thinking of catania or taomina. however, there are a cuple of things we need to know

1) is it possible to stay (and see lots of things) in either of these places without renting a car? we are both in our early 20's and get stung by car rental companies!!

2) are these places close enough to beaches, and are the beaches pebbly or sandy?

basically we love barcelona but have been there 3 times, so we are looking for something similar- an suggestions?

thanks

Liz

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,502 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: young couple in sicily

I doubt if anything in Sicily is particulary like Barcelona. Have you tried Valencia?

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
73 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: young couple in sicily

The train service between major cities is great, otherwise te bus service is quicker and more reliable if you want to see other out of the way sights. Taormina has two sides, one has sandy beach and one has rocky beach, but teh rocky one is way better for snorkeling and scuba. There are beaches in Catania but mostly "lido's" where you can pay for the day using their facilities. Sometimes the hotels have their own 'private' beach or an associated service where by staying there you can use their umbrellas/facilities. Are you specifically looking for a 'beach' holiday? There's always Club Med here in Sicily or some other lovely beaches around the island in Siracusa and Cefalu etc. Plenty of opportunities to go on day tours too for example to Mount Etna? , sometimes the hotel will arrange them for you or sugest transport and times. I wouldn't say Sicily is like Barcelona!

3. Re: young couple in sicily

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 pm, February 15, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
229 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: young couple in sicily

Hey --

We're also in our 20s and visited Sicily in August. The buses are very efficient-- probably more efficient than most things in Sicily! Also very affordable. We didn't miss having a car at all.

I would love to return to Sicily, but I wouldn't go there if I was craving a great beach vacation. It's nice to have the beaches in Taormina and Cefalu, but they're very pebbly and small, at least compared to what I'm used to here in the states. A Sicily vacation is more about fantastic food, architecture and history, and being lazy than the beach. That said, we did have fun at the beaches, but they're not the highlight of the trip.

Boston - USA
Level Contributor
134 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: young couple in sicily

some newer parts of Palermo are Barcelona like ..but the rest of Sicily is Sicily..it is not Spain..........

You need a rental Car....... the towns are isolated..... vineyard after vineyard...........

Beaches are different..... pebble in the East (Taormina)..

sandy on the south coast........

Cefalu on the North is a new beach resort...very modern, acessable by high speed train .....fast and reliable

my suggestion...stay east coast..Taormina, Catania, Mt. Etna, Ragosa, Syracuse....etc......

have fun...

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: young couple in sicily

You don't want to go to Sicily in August as that is the month when all the Italians go on vacation and it is very crowded!!

London On.
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: young couple in sicily

Taormina has beach. Don't need a car.

Lipari (canneto) has beach.No car needed

Capo d'orlando (sicily) has fantastic LONG sandy beach. probably would want a car... not as much to do in this town.

I'd take Sicily and its Eoliaon islands over Spain !

London
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: young couple in sicily

Hi there

My boyfriend and I, both in our 20's, are going to Sicily this Friday. My boyfriend is from Barcelona and I lived there for 3 years so I'll let you know if they are comparable or not when I get back!

Lucy

Sri Lanka
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: young couple in sicily

Hi guys,

Im just coming back from Sicily now and i found a really nice and cheap apartman. it was 60 Euro/ 4 person, it was quiet close to Palermo( 15 km far) , we saw the see from the balcony and if we went to the beach it was also only 6 mins by car. Im in really love with Sicily, i wish i could go back again or stay teher longer.

I can give u the mail address of the flat if u want.

my mail is: toth_e.....hotmail.com

Ciao to all Sicilian love people.