We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train connection advice

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
189 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Train connection advice

I have been advised by to expect delays on the Trenitalia route from Santo Stefano di Camastra to Milazzo and I am looking for advice on my itinerary connection timing.

If I take the 10:30 train from S.STF.C arriving in Milazzo at 12:00 noon, can I safely expect to make it in time to catch the 16:20 hydrofoil to Stromboli? I could take the 7:27 train arriving at 8:39 instead if needed. I am not sure how much of a train delay time to expect. Can it be hours of delay time?

My other option is to spend the night in Milazzo and take the 7:20 hydrofoil, but this would cut my time in Santo Stefano di Camastra short, and I would rather spend another night in that town instead of Milazzo if possible.

Thank-you for your help,

Rose

Edited: 10:47 pm, March 02, 2013
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train connection advice

Hi Rose,

even though there was a delay it wouldn't be such that you miss the hydrofoil

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
189 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train connection advice

Thank-you RRosario7.

I was hoping the 10:30 train from S.STF.C arriving in Milazzo at 12:00 noon would allow enough time to catch the 16:20 hydrofoil to Stromboli. Even with train delays I was pretty sure 4 hours was enough padding time, but it makes me feel reassured to get a Destination Experts advice!

Thank-you again,

Rose

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,861 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train connection advice

There’s no need to overnight in Milazzo - You would be fine with your planned schedule Rose, however note that AST is not running bus service between Milazzo’s train station and Milazzo’s port on Sundays, so hopefully you don't plan to arrive in Milazzo on a Sunday.

Passengers should arrive at least 30 minutes prior to the crossing departure.

usticalines.it/en/dettaglio_info_utili.asp…

Vagabonda

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train connection advice

You are welcome.

Unless it's a Sunday, once in Milazzo take the AST bus to the port. If it's Sunday take a taxi

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,861 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train connection advice

And hopefully with the tourist season approaching, AST would reinstate the Sunday service!!!

Vagabonda

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
189 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train connection advice

Thank-you for the heads up about Sunday's. I may be returning from Stromboli on a Sunday so I hope AST will reinstate service. I am trying to avoid it, but it may be necessary.

Do you know if Giuntabus and Interbus increase their schedule frequency between Milazzo and Taormina later in the season - through September? Not just on Sundays but all days? Looking at current schedules their last buses don't look like they would work for my 14:20 arrival into Milazzo so I would need to take the train. And then the Interbus at the Taormina train station looks like it stops running fairly early also. Is there a local bus to take up to town if need be?

Thank-you,

Rose

7. Re: Train connection advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 08, 2014