We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 nights on the East Coast

Dublin
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
14 nights on the East Coast

We are a couple spending 2 weeks in Sicily this August. We are flying in and out of Catania so will concentrate on exploring the East Coast. We want to rent a car from Catania airport and drive south to explore Siracusa/Noto/reservation areas... We can spend 3-5 days here. Could you recommend a base where we can see the sights, enjoy the beaches and eat/drink at night? Any must sees/highlights?? Then we plan to drive back to Catania, drop the car and use public transport to get to Taormina/Giardini. We will spend 9-11 days here in self catering accom. Which area would be best as a base to enjoy the sights/beaches/restaurants, considering we will not have a car? Also, if anyone thinks i am missing out on something good to do, suggestions are very welcome!! :-)

modica
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 nights on the East Coast

As you dont have a car, Id suggest Ortigia (Siracusa) which has decent night life and wont be too packed in August, as there is no beach. It will allow you to visit Noto, the beach and so on easily, and the other Baroque towns a little less easily. HOwever its do-able.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,479 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 nights on the East Coast

Welcome to Sicily JoeyJoJoShabbadoo!

You will very much appreciate the car hire in Southeastern Sicily.

Siracusa is not a beach destination and so it’s not peak season, even in August. Although Siracusa is lovely and a good base for exploring, if you’d like to enjoy beaches, perhaps base in Marina di Ragusa. You could easily enjoy five nights between Siracusa and Ragusa provinces.

Best beaches / quiet area of Sicily for one week in May?:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k5068…

Hopefully you plan to return the car at Catania’s airport and not Catania.

Without a car, Taormina would offer the most amenities for your next base.

You might add a few extra nights to the Siracusa area and a few less nights to Taormina. You could then also see Agrigento’s Valley of the Temples, Caltagirone, Piazza Armerina’s Villa Romana del Casale....

Vagabonda

Dublin
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 14 nights on the East Coast

Modicasa & Vagabonda - thank you both for your advice. We have now decided to spend more time in the Southern regions.

You may be able to help me more? I notice that Marina di Ragusa is in the South-West. Is it OK for me to drive across country or should I stick to the main roads? I presume the main roads are along the coast. Also, is it easy to get lost (I have NO Italian)..?

Finally, if we wanted to break the holiday up into exploring for a week and then chilling out on a beach for a week, would you recommend South Coast for exploring and the beaches of Taormina/Giardini for a week for a more typical resort holiday?

Thanks again for your help & advice!

Joe

4. Re: 14 nights on the East Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 01, 2014