We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somewhere like Cefalu - any suggestions

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Somewhere like Cefalu - any suggestions

Just returned from Cefalu- had a wonderful time and would like to return again to Sicily to somewhere similar but again where we can use local rail. Any ideas thinking about first week in September. Would prefer to fly in to Palmero but could do Catania. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Debbie

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
306 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Somewhere like Cefalu - any suggestions

Siracusa is magical. You can easily get around to other places using both trains and buses from there. While it has beaches it is not a beach town per se. But it is an historic and wonderful town.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Somewhere like Cefalu - any suggestions

Giardini Naxos/Taormina is very popular. You can go up to Etna from there. marian di Ragusa had nice beaches but I'm not sure about transport (we drove), same with Sciacca area.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Somewhere like Cefalu - any suggestions

Many thanks Karen

I will now do my research around your suggestion. Best wishes Debbie

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Somewhere like Cefalu - any suggestions

Thank you Kelly I have thought about Siracuse but will look more closely now., Best wishes Debbie

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,779 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Somewhere like Cefalu - any suggestions

Ciao hop2it_11,

You would find similarities between Taormina and Cefalù. Siracusa is NOT a beach destination, so it's not really like Cefalù, but you might consider Marina di Ragusa.

Although Marina di Ragusa is a beach resort town, it is easily connected by local bus service to Ragusa.

AST runs bus service between Palermo and Ragusa and Interbus connects Ragusa to Catania's airport.

Vagabonda

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Somewhere like Cefalu - any suggestions

Many thanks I will look into this.

PS thank you for the information you provided re transport from Palmero to Cefalu via bus and train - invaluable the trip was very easy apart from returning on Thursday 1 November when we got caught up in the station being closed at Cefalu due to a festival.

M thanks Debbie

7. Re: Somewhere like Cefalu - any suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, November 10, 2013