We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great snorkeling spots around Olbia - Costa Smeralda

Belfast
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Great snorkeling spots around Olbia - Costa Smeralda

Olbia is a good hub for the Costa Smeralda, so I thought I would post some of my snorkeling spot finds! I'm sure there are many more, but I've only really been twice to Sardinia, once to Alghero and once to Olbia.

Most of the beaches in Sardinia are beautiful, but useless for snorkeling. The ones I've found are coves, with rocks on either side and a great beach. This means you can have the best of both, a great beach, walk into the water, and do some great snorkeling. I recommend bringing a cooler back with some lunch and some drinks, and big bottle of water to wash the salt off.

You'll need a car though, these are remote, and therefore usually very quiet :) The GPS locations are the closest you can go with a car. You can then park and walk down to the beach. Most take you down dirt roads.

1. Cala Coda Cavallo

N 40.83993 , E 9.71151

The GPS location is the entrance to the car park, sadly you'll need to pay to park. You can park for free, but it'll be miles away. You'll need to park and continue to the beach on foot. Once at the beach, walk to the end to the rocks.

On the SS125 main road from Olbia to San Teodora, take the turn to Capo Coda Cavallo. Head straight on for about 4.5 km, when you should see a dirt road signposted for the beach. Follow this down to the beach.

2. Cala Gircolu

N 40.85284 , E 9.66825

Nice beach, but on a windy day it is exposed and gets choppy. Good snorkeling though!

On the SS125 main road from Olbia to San Teodora, you'll find the village of Montepetrosu. Turn left at the signs for the beach, theres also a tabacconist and a few shops at the junction.

3. Cala Principe

N 41.08832 , E 9.55541

Best beach ever! Little beach shack for food, but no facillities. You won't believe how clear the water is here. Some good sealife, and the cove is sheltered. Bit of a walk down to the beach, but really worth it.

From Olbia, head towards Porto Cervo. After about 6 or 7 km, take the turn for Cala Di Volpe. After 0.5 km, you'll see the Hotel Cala di Volpe, take the turn for Romazzino. Go down this road and follow the signs for Piccolo Romazzino. The GPS will take you to the car park entrance

4. Cala Salinedda

N 40.83936 , E 9.70500

Little unamed beach

5. Unamed beach

N 40.74830 , E 8.15914

Great little beach, its got facillities: little snack stall and a shower! On a bend of a road, not well sign posted, you should see some cars parked and a building or two. I went back to this one time and again when I was in Alghero.

6. Island of Tavolara

Really enjoyed snorkeling here, a marine reserve. The boat drops you off at a pier right next to the beach. You can walk to the end of the beach to the rocks for some snorkeling. It's pretty much the end of the furthest point of the island.

Get yourself to Porto St Paolo. There'll you'll find a ferry to the island. It's pretty regular, every half an hour. There are two parking lots, about 1.2 Euro an hour. Tickets are sold in a hut near the pier, ask some locals if you cant find it. The boat takes 20 minutes

------------------

Las Vegas/Undewater...
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Great snorkeling spots around Olbia - Costa Smeralda

Thanks for tips and gps directions! going to olbia soon, and taking my underwater camera and doing some snorkeling:)

Sardinia, Italy
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Great snorkeling spots around Olbia - Costa Smeralda

Great feedback on snorkelling sites Robryb , as you say the underwater pickings are lean on many Sardinian beaches.

Other great snorkelling beaches include Cala Mariolu in the Golfo di Orosei, specifically the small cove at it's northern end and Porticciolo near Capo Caccia, Alghero.

For beach lovers this website could be of use:

unionesarda.it/collane/…home_spiagge.aspx

( In italian but not an issue - just mouse over the highlighted zones on the map)

There are over 600 registered beaches on Sardinia, 240 of the best are listed and mapped there with photo galleries etc making it easy to research likely snorkelling, swimming , sunbathing candidates :)

Belfast
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great snorkeling spots around Olbia - Costa Smeralda

hehe, enjoy! I'm sure it will be awesome!

4. Re: Great snorkeling spots around Olbia - Costa Smeralda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 am, December 18, 2013