We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting there & the University

Provo, Utah
3 posts
Save Topic
Getting there & the University

I have studied Italian for two years now, and may be coming to Cagliari for an 'au pair' work/room and board exchange this January ('07) thru May or June ('07), and I am looking for advice on the best ways to get to Cagliari (cheapest and most economical). Is it better to fly into Cagliari? Or somewhere else in Italy and take a ferry? I'm also possibly interested in taking a class at the University while there, so if anyone is familiar with the university, I'd love advice on that too. Thanks!

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,325 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting there & the University

You will have to change planes somewhere. As you probably know, at the USA end, your cheapest option would be to take Southwest or Jetblue from Salt Lake City to one of the major gateways like San Francisco, Atlanta or New York.

The cheapest and easiest way is to fly to London and then take Easyjet (www.easyjet.com) from London Luton to Cagliari. Note that Luton is a couple of hours by bus or train from London's main airports where your flight from the USA would land. There are dedicated bus connections. Heathrow would be the closest, but the cheaper flights tend to land at Gatwick.

Another option that would not involve changing airports is to fly to Paris CDG and the take Meridiana (www.meridiana.it) to Cagliari. That would also work through Rome FCO or Milan MPX.

Otherwise if you can get a cheap light to Munich, you can take Hapag Lloyd Express (www.hlx.com).

Ferries are an option but it would probably work out more expensive and a lot more hassle.

Don't know much about the University, but it should be possible to at least audit a class.

Provo, Utah
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting there & the University

Thank you so much! That is extremely helpful! I would still love to hear from anyone who knows about the university as well. Also, does anyone know what the best way is to establish some phone connection with the U.S. (like family back home) for that long of a stay in Cagliari? Anyway, thanks again! --aurora

sardinia
Level Contributor
423 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting there & the University

i can anwer you about the telephone connection: I always call america through my computers, it is necessary an internet connection and you can phone using www.voipstunt.com which is free with calls from PC to land line. If your parents use Skype that is even better as the quality of the telephone call is great, here you make a PC to PC phone call, check www.skype.com

Calling from normal telephone my suggestion is to buy phone card, like tiscali has or tele2, with a credit of 10 euro you can make phone call of 200 minutes

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,325 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting there & the University

Phone cards and Skype are good options, but I would back them up with Ekit (www.ekit.com).

This is a general travel service site that, as well as cheap calls home, gives you email, voicemail, a "travel vault" where you can securely store important info like passport and credit card numbers, and retrieve them from any computer in case of loss etc. You also have a special "traveling" email account through which you can also check other email accounts.

EKIT also offers internet calling at 2 cents a minute.

However, apart from calling Skype to Skype or a similar free service, calling abroad from Italy is not cheap (unless you have a landline with a good calling plan. To use Ekit from a standard landine will still cost 39 cents a minute to the USA

As my username suggests, I travel all over the world, and wouldn't go without Ekit.

Provo, Utah
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting there & the University

Thank you both sooo much! That information will be very helpful. I should find out very soon if I'll be going, and I can't wait! I will definitely keep you posted on my experiences this January! Thanks again!! ~Aurora

6. Re: Getting there & the University

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, August 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Cagliari