We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cagliari, Palau (?), Alghero August 2012

Which Cagliari hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
41 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Cagliari, Palau (?), Alghero August 2012

Hello!

I plan to travel to Sardegna in August. Yes, I know, it will be busy!

My interests: Beach/Sea, History, good food and quiet, rest.

I will arrive in Cagliari. 3 nights, historic sites & Villasimius, Poetto Beach. Cagliari is a must stop for me.

I am planning on taking a very early morning bus to Palau, over 5 hours, a bit rough. I will be relying on public transport on this trip.

3 nights in Palau.

Is it worth it the time, effort, probably congested and expensive area Palau/La Maddallena, to experience the sea, which I understand is quite spectacular? I am a sea/beach person.

Then, 4 nights in Alghero. A must stop for me.

Total days in Sardegna will be 10 days.

Seeking feedback from Sardegna frequent travelers or residents for suggestion if this itinerary is too busy, particularly the part of visiting Palau/La Maddalena?

Is visiting the Costa Esmeralda so significantly different from the other areas that I will be visiting?

Ultimately, I believe this is a matter of opinion/taste, but thought I check anyway wih this Forum.

Thank you!

Sardinia, Italy
Level Contributor
127 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cagliari, Palau (?), Alghero August 2012

Hi there,

The beaches in the Villasimius/Costa Rei area are just stunning and about the same standard as those on the Costa Smeralda, the only difference is the exorbitant prices in the Costa Smeralda, so I wouldn't say it was worth the long trek on public transport to get up there for just 3 days if you just want to see the beaches.

I'd take a more relaxed approach and spend a few extra days in Alghero/Cagliari/Villasimius and if you do want an extra destination, try Pula/Chia which also have stunning beaches and gorgeous Roman ruins on Nora beach

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
41 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cagliari, Palau (?), Alghero August 2012

Thank you for responding! This is exactly what has been running in the back of my mind. I want this to be a relaxing trip. Maybe a boat trip to Costa in future year.

Sardinia, Italy
Level Contributor
127 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cagliari, Palau (?), Alghero August 2012

It's a pleasure... have a fantastic trip!

Warsaw, Poland
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cagliari, Palau (?), Alghero August 2012

Hi,

I just wanted to ask how did you want to get from Cagliari to Palau? I've foud some amazing apartments in Palau and I'd like to get there from the Cagliari airport by public transport but it seems impossible to find any connections so far...

5. Re: Cagliari, Palau (?), Alghero August 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 pm, August 20, 2013