We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alghero-end April, need car 4 beach? Tips Sagra del Bogamari

Which Alghero hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Alghero-end April, need car 4 beach? Tips Sagra del Bogamari

Hi, my husband and I are planning a trip next week (around the 18th/19) to alghero to mainly experience “Sagra del Bogamari"/ sea urchin / ricci festival and all the amazing food this place has to offer. If you have any tips of places to eat, feel free to share. we like what the locals will like! We'll be there for the last weekend of the festival and a few days after the festival.

The main purpose of the trip is to eat great food and just relax and decompress. I believe that we'll be staying in alghero for all of the time. We will have a few days, maybe 4, after the festival to potentially do something. Do you think it's worth it to hire a car? Or just stick with public transportation.

My normal travel mode is to go see all the beautiful things, but just don't have it in me this time to Run around everywhere. But I do really want to relax on the beaches, and boy am I a beach fanatic! Sigh... My weakness.

Is stintino an all day affair? Or can it be a day trip? Do we need a car to go there or can we go there by public transport?

Between piscinas-carbonia, peninsola de sinis, and/or costa paradiso, are they doable, or am I wishfully dreaming without a car? Are these too much for a day trip?

Olbia
Level Contributor
601 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alghero-end April, need car 4 beach? Tips Sagra del Bogamari

If you want to "decompress" I don't think you need to hire a car for just 4 days, you can enjoy Alghero and perhaps take a bus or a train for a day trip. Stintino is a day trip, there are buses from Porto Torres (50 min ride), so you may want to hire a car to go there.

Piscinas/Carbonia definitely not, it's too far. Alghero- Costa Paradiso is about 2 hours, but you can go to Castelsardo (1 hour from Alghero). Leave the Sinis for another time when you have more days. At this point I strongly suggest you hire a car (Stintino and Castelsardo/Costa Paradiso)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alghero-end April, need car 4 beach? Tips Sagra del Bogamari

Thanks for your tips. We're actually going to stay until the 30th now, so we'll have some more days to play around with.

Do you know if it's warm enough to go in the waters yet? Or still too cold? Is Stintino still worth going to if you can't go into the water and enjoy it?

I think we will hire a car the last few days that we are there and maybe stay in another city. Any inland cities you would suggest? We'll be in Alghero, so we'll get to experience the seaside types of food. I'd love to try some delicious local inland food as well.

I've read good things about Letizia in Nuxis. Not sure if it's worth the drive all the way down to the south. Would love any other suggestions you may have. Thanks!

Olbia
Level Contributor
601 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alghero-end April, need car 4 beach? Tips Sagra del Bogamari

If you stay 10 days that makes more sense. If you have the time you can go to Stintino, it's a very nice beach and the good thing is that it is exactly how it looks on the pictures, but it's not the only one. No, it's too cold to swim but you can sunbathe and relax if you're lucky with the weather. In summer time Stintino is too crowded to enjoy it.

Yes, inland visit Ozieri and then Torralba which has - in my opinion - the best Nuraghe in Sardinia, called Santu Antine. I had posted some info here: tripadvisor.co.uk/…31930245

In Ozieri you can eat at La Torre in the centre, or outside Ozieri (in Chilivani) there is a nice restaurant (it's also a hotel now) called Terra D'oro.

Ozieri is well connected with the train but you will need a car to see all the other places.

Don't know Letizia, I don't think it's worth driving all the way to the south. You could go as far as Oristano (Sinis) which is quite different from the north: flat, calm, some pretty villages (Milis, Narbolia, the fishing village of San Salvatore etc.).

alghero
Level Contributor
469 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alghero-end April, need car 4 beach? Tips Sagra del Bogamari

Hi there...let me just give you some indications about the sea urcins. This year there is not exactly the festival where sea urcins were served in the harbour area with bread and red wine. There are, indeed, 26 restaurants in Alghero which have their own menu based on the sea Urcin. Menus start from 25 to 50 euro per person. I checked all menus and in my opinion the most interessant is in the Maò de Plà Restaurant which is in Via Garibaldi in a complex called Quarter Sayal. For 28 euro you get Sea urcins in toasted bread (crostini), Linguine ai ricci (pasta with sea urcins), Gamberi all'algherese (prawns in the Alghero's way...that is with onions, extra virgin oil, tomatoes), water and wine. But there are different ones as weel interesting. If I can give you another tip, there is a new restaurant, Sa Mesa which from monday to friday serve buffet (only at lunch) for only 10,00 euro p.p. And for dinner you pay 19,00 euro at the table and get different tipical dishes. By the way...all quality sardinian products! Then it's plenty of restaurants with great food, bars etc. Considering that you are a beach fanatic I would focus on the coast aspect. Stintino is absolutely great, 3 days ago, although water was cold, I did a short bath there ;) Days are very nice at the moment. Take into consideration Asinara Island, north Stintino. I wanna come back this year too and sleep in the only hostel there...it is a wild island with free white donkeys and other animals with a couple of former extra safe jails and nice beaches...in my opinion the top for snorkeling as the fishes are not scared at all by humans :)

Olbia
Level Contributor
601 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alghero-end April, need car 4 beach? Tips Sagra del Bogamari

I didn't advise Asinara because I thought there was not a ferry to take you there at this time of the year.

alghero
Level Contributor
469 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alghero-end April, need car 4 beach? Tips Sagra del Bogamari

Ops, you are right...I thought from Porto Torres the ferry were operating already. So...no Asinara this time.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alghero-end April, need car 4 beach? Tips Sagra del Bogamari

Algheroservice,

Thanks for your recommendations for ricci and the food in alghero. I hae a few more questions about food in alghero. I've had that the lobster is very delicious. Is there a certain time of year that it is better to eat/try? Also, I heard that the raw shrimp is very good to eat - vey sweet. Which type of shrimp is that in particular? How can I ask for it it Italian? Is that something that I can buy at the market myself or is it something that you eat in a restaurant? Should I purchase it at la boqueria? When is crab in season?

In terms of traditional Sardinian foods, do most restaurants make them equally good? or a there better ones to try and other restaurants to avoid? Where are the culingionis, porcheddu, sanguinaccio, Sebadas best to eat? Is it better to try them inland or in alghero is still good?

Also, are there any agriturismo places to stay and eat at that you recommend? Should these traditional foods be tried here instead?

I'm glad that you were able to make it to stintino a few days ago. Was the beach still filled with seaweed? Or s the sand clear? I wish I could visit asinara island right now. I sounds like a gorgeous place!

Thanks for your previous post!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alghero-end April, need car 4 beach? Tips Sagra del Bogamari

Lilli_ol,

Thanks for your response! I hope it's ok to ask you some more questions. I need a day or two to do a little More research and have better questions to ask. I will post a few more questions later, I appreciate your link and your suggestions already!

Sardinia, Italy
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Alghero-end April, need car 4 beach? Tips Sagra del Bogamari

>Stintino...Was the beach still filled with seaweed? Or s the sand clear? I wish I could visit asinara island right now. I sounds like a gorgeous place!

La Pelosa beach at Stintino is completely clear of seaweed. Unlike what you have no doubt witnessed on the beaches in the Via Lido area of Alghero, La Pelosa doesn't suffer the problem of seaweed piling up - quite the opposite, it's prone to getting washed away in storms!

I noticed some sort of trip to Asinara running while at La Pelosa last week, perhaps try 'Linea del Parco' in Stintino? Tel: 079523118 or 3492605023 , http://www.lineadelparco.it

For the Sardinian food items you've listed, in Alghero I would go to Trattoria Cavour. The suckling pig usually is best ordered in advance.

alghero
Level Contributor
469 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alghero-end April, need car 4 beach? Tips Sagra del Bogamari

Hi. Maybe you can find this kind of food at La bouqueria. I've never heard anyone here eating raw shrimps. It is poossible to eat urcins, polipus and other se shells raw, but never heard about shrimps. Lobster are usually taken with good weather, that means from now to september I'd say. You can eat at La Lepanto as they usually have lobster alive. There are other restaurants too, but I noticed they are still closed. Mind: Asinara Island is probably not operative yet as the boats are not running at the moment. For tipical sardinian food I recommend you Sa Mesa restaurant, in the city, which is basically a restaurant like an agriturismo: all food is extremely gorgeous and from monday to friday they also do buffet for only 10 euro at lunch. Other agritursimo you can go are Sa Mandra and Barbagia, both managed by 2 inland families, but are outside Alghero, in the airport area.

Hope you got all the answer you needed