We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enrico: Unpleasant car rental in Alghero

Brussels, Belgium
1 post
Save Topic
Enrico: Unpleasant car rental in Alghero

Just a little warning to everybody that while there are many reviews of "an excellent car hire" from Enrico Farris in Alghero, all written by the same person, we had a very unpleasant experience with him. frankly, this was the ONLY unpleasant experience of our holidays.

Enrico, who indeed picked us up from the airport and was rather pleasant and spoke OK English, upon return of the car showed another side of the service. While we filled up the tank fully a minute before returning the car, he doubted us and then started claiming it was not full. A month later he sent us some fake receipts of 60 euros (this was the smallest Fiat!) of allegedly missing gas in the car. If it were correct, that would mean that his mini Fiat takes gas for 120 euros to fill up just a half of a tank! Furthermore, Enrico signed for us for taking the money out from our CC. CC company noticed the fraud and returned the money, but the memories of the services remain indeed very unpleasant. If you only can, use another car rental company.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
39 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Enrico: Unpleasant car rental in Alghero

Hi Monika

Whilst I am not doubting your story I can only say it perplexes me. We have been renting off Enrico and his Dad for many years as have our friends, family and guests. All of our experiences have been exceptionally positive; in that the service we have experienced has always been friendly and helpful.

I do struggle however with your comment about reviews "all written by the same person". How can you possibly make that claim? I know for a fact at least two of our guests have posted about Alghero Car Hire.

Alghero, Italy
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Enrico: Unpleasant car rental in Alghero

Hello,monika has explained her version which is wrong; you can see she is trying to make me turn in mean person only because she is angry because she didn't get what she wanted: NOT PAY THE FUEL SHE USED. she claims to have been charge for euro 60 but the charge was euro 49,50 (see bill attached) which includes the missing fuel plus refuelling service and tax on top.The" mini Fiat" is a Grande Punto with a tank capacity of 50 litres (price for litre was euro 1.8).all the papers I have are NOT FAKE and is very sad she said opposite; I am available to test all the paper to check if her sign is real or not.

I am also a Human being that makes mistake but in this case my behaviour was correct.

Enrico Farris.

p.s. sorry for my "OK"english

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,338 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Enrico: Unpleasant car rental in Alghero

always present the receipt for the fueling when you return the car and make sure the agent signs off with a clear receipt. I have been charged for fuel when I have just refueled the car a couple of times; rental agencies apparently make their profits by cheating. In both cases, I was able to back down the cheating agencies because I could produce a receipt -- in one case the company backed down and in the other the credit card company removed the charge.

we have no way of knowing the truth from the two postings here -- but the OP claims to have just had the car filled before turning it in. that has been my experience as well when being charged by agents who thought they could take advantage -- perhaps they think women are suckers.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Enrico: Unpleasant car rental in Alghero

Monika,

Similar to Pippa T, I too have great difficulty identifying with the veracity of your claim. I have just returned from Alghero, having hired a car from Enrico at Algherocarhire.com for the duration of my stay.

Enrico met us at the airport with our car and dropped us back at the end of our stay, thereby enabling us to avoid the long, car hire queues at the airport and to save on the circa €50 taxi fares. The car was clean, well maintained & reliable; the hire was extremely good value for money. The service that we received from this company was personal and everything that we had a right to expect and more.

On the last day, I used to local Esso garage to top up, but they did not fill the tank – it went up to about ¾. I pointed this out to Enrico when we surrendered the car & he happily accepted our explanation, although he did point out that may hirers sought to cheat hire companies by not filling the tank and then not mentioning it. The standard car hire agreement that we signed clearly stated that if we did not return the car fully topped up, then the hire company had the right to fill the car and deduct the amount from our credit card. Based on my personal experience, I do not accept that there was any attempt to defraud you.

Additionally, I take issue with your wholly incorrect claim that the reviews of that what really is “an excellent car hire” business in Alghero were “all written by the same person.” A quick search using the TA, on-site search facility proves this to be incorrect

Our experience was entirely positive and I would have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending Enrico Farris at www.Algherocarhire.com to any visitor.

Brussels, Belgium
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Enrico: Unpleasant car rental in Alghero

Enrico is far away from being an honest business man. I am from the same girls' company that rented a car from Enrico Farris and 4 days later returned it fully tanked. Being stupid (but learned from this bitter experience, thanks to Enrico) we did not take a receipt from the petrol station after tanking a car. One month later it came out that he charged my credit card for not refueling the car properly. After complaining he even sent me a receipt with my signature stating that I indeed agreed to pay additional 50 euro for the car not being tanked properly. Of course, it's up to you to believe or not, that the car was fully tanked and that we never agreed on additional payment, also that I did not sign any other receipt apart from the one we agreed initially: amount for renting a car and insurance (which was signed the first day we arrived to Alghero). Be careful, Enrico uses an old fashion credit card swipe device. In our situation we suspect that on the first day he swiped my credit card twice and let me sign it twice. It explains why the numbers of receipts are consecutive. The number of the first receipt signed on the first day with agreed amount for renting a car and insurance is consecutive with the number of the receipt signed four days later with the additional amount for not fully tanked car. How it could happen? There are four days in between, it is rather impossible that in these four days nobody else paid with the credit card. Also, the invoice of re-tanking the car he sent to us is of one day after he charged my credit card. How he could know in advance how much petrol is missing in order to charge my card if he re-tanked it only one day later? I would be glad if Enrico (or somebody of his fans in this forum) could explain these mysterious facts which happened by using his car rental company. Believe me, this all is not about the money. We were 4 girls who rented that unlucky car, so it's a bit more than 10 euro per person. But the taste and the memories of this trip are bitter - somebody is able to trick you in a such an "elegant" way that is impossible to prove anything afterwards. I don't care whether you will rent a car from this guy or not - the only advice I have for you is just be careful and cautious, always have all receipts, invoices, pictures of the car if necessary etc.

6. Re: Enrico: Unpleasant car rental in Alghero

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, December 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Alghero