We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

argus car rentals / sixt car rentals

Which Alghero hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
loughborough
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
argus car rentals / sixt car rentals

booked a rental car through argus car rentals who act as an agent for sixt car rentals

we booked a 1600cc VW golf because it had sufficient head room

we were given a 1200cc Renault Clio that was too small and had insufficient head room

this put my back out and ruined my holiday

would never use either company ever again

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,856 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: argus car rentals / sixt car rentals

There is no rental company that guarantees you will get exactly the same car as the one booked. They all say something like "VW Golf or similar", and a Clio is not much different from a Golf.

Sardinia, Italy
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: argus car rentals / sixt car rentals

I'd be furious if knocked down to a 1200 having booked a 1.6.

Did they at least give you a refund/ discount for the lower class car?

>There is no rental company that guarantees you will get exactly the same car as the one booked.

Apex in NZ & Australia have a guaranteed model option.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,856 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: argus car rentals / sixt car rentals

A Golf is heavier than a Clio, so I think there would not be much difference in performance between a 1.6 Golf and a 1.2 Clio.

loughborough
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: argus car rentals / sixt car rentals

sydney nick - are you employed by car rentals company ?? because you are very adept at leaping to their defense

the main point of my disatisfaction is that I specifically booked a VW because it had sufficient head room

the wording was VW golf or similar - similar means the same as not inferior, smaller or unsuitable for purpose

a car that has insufficient head room is not similar, it is not fit for purpose as it was unsuitable - this was pointed out to the car rental outfit at the time of pick as being unsuitable - at no point did they offer an upgrade to a larger vehicle either free or chargable, in fact their reaction was when it was pointed out that the car was unsuitable was to cancel the booking and refuse to refund my deposit

Poland
Level Contributor
63 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: argus car rentals / sixt car rentals

I completely agreed with popelli69. Clio is far away than Golf. No doubt. So if car hire company says: VW Golf or similar it has to be the same standard for the same price. why booking and paying for Golf and getting Clio, a class lower, instead for the price for Golf? i dont get it.....

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: argus car rentals / sixt car rentals

Hi,

I have used Argus car hire before and had a great experience untill i got a car from SIXT last week! A girl at the Alghero airport was very rude without reason from the start. According to their system our car was scratched only in one place- when we got a car it was scratched and bumped all over! We called a girl who was serving us ( of course she was very unhappy and she was pulling unhappy faces and rolling her eyes etc ) and i asked her to mark every scratch on the agreement. I bet she didnt add all scratches to their system anyway but thank god we didnt have any problems when we retuned car. The customer before us got falty GPS and there was somehting else wrong with his car. I cant believe how bad this company is! At least in Alghero...Check car very carefully before you sign anything ( of course they try to make you sign contract before you see a car ). I have used small, local companies before and never had such a bad experience. Thank god we didnt need their assistance on the road! Well, no more SIXT for me...

loughborough
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: argus car rentals / sixt car rentals

We found the reception at alghero incredibly rude as well, their first reaction we we queried the wrond car being supplied was to cancel the agreement and supply no car at all

We were not the only people having problems that day a german couple just before us had returned their car because the brakes were not working.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: argus car rentals / sixt car rentals

We always use Avis as we use Airmiles to pay for our car rental, and the only time we couldn't get the car we booked, in Rome, we were offered an UPgrade which was very acceptable!

If there are scratches etc on a car when we pick it up I make a point of taking photos while they do the walk round... just to keep them concentrating.

Maybe worth comparing costs between the smaller local companies and bigger ones and deciding if it is worth it.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,681 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: argus car rentals / sixt car rentals

Like Penny I have found it works better for me to use a well known company like AVIS as they are less likely to give you any problems. Car hire is like a lot of things - you get what you pay for - so I prefer to pay a little extra, sometimes they are actually cheaper!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: argus car rentals / sixt car rentals

Thats the thing - SIXT seems to be well known - they are everywhere like Avis etc so you wouldnt think its gonna be problematic.Not the cheapest at all. I think that big comapnies just dont care about customer and buisness as it doesnt make any differance for them to loose few customers. I will be using smaller companies that care about customer. I bet Avis is this same as SIXT.

Get answers to your questions about Alghero