We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ripped off by Maggiore car rental Bari

Amsterdam, The...
2 posts
2 reviews
Ripped off by Maggiore car rental Bari

Arrived at Bari and picked up our car, repeatedly telling the staff at Maggiore that we already paid for full insurance withRentalcars.com. A month later Maggiore had deducted more than 300 euros for a full insurance that we had supposedly taken and signed for,. So be careful read and question all the forms that they let you sign..... even if there is a long queue behind you. BIG RIPOFF.

# ripoffMaggiore#becarefulMagiorre

24 replies to this topic
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,735 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Ripped off by Maggiore car rental Bari

If you didn't sign up for the extra insurances then you should have your credit card put a stop payment on the funds. If you did sign up for the extra insurances there is nothing you can do. If you didn't read the forms you were signing then you may well have agreed to the extra insurances.

Donna

Amsterdam, The...
2 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Ripped off by Maggiore car rental Bari

Well if they put 6 forms in front of you nose and ask you to sign then and there is a queue of 20 people, you don't always read the small print ( which is of course stupid) But if you say to the employee behind the desk repeatedly I don't need insurance and he repeatedly answers you with yes! yes ! I know. Then you would hope that you can trust him . #donttrustMaggiore . But Donna who are you working for actually with your 33,640 posts.

But don't worry I'm not finished yet.#ripoffmaggiore.Just started.

######

Turin
Level Contributor
9,671 posts
1 review
3. Re: Ripped off by Maggiore car rental Bari

In Italy CDW coverage is mandatory by law, did Rentalcars.com provide a CDW? If so, Did it comply with Italian laws?

Before starting a crusade you'd better check. There is a page about it on Rick Steves' site.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,735 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: Ripped off by Maggiore car rental Bari

Sally, what do you mean "who are you working for?" I offered you advice on what to do if these charges are fraudulent and you turn around and attack me? Seriously?

Perhaps the issue really is you. Go on with your "crusade". No one will pay any attention to it. Just like all the other bad reviews on this company on this and other forums you still went ahead and rented from them. Perhaps if you had done the research FIRST you wouldn't have had these issues.

As for not taking the time to read legal documents before signing them, that's your own fault. Yes, I would and do take however much time is needed to know what I'm signing.

Again, if you feel these charges are bogus, let your credit card company handle it.

Stop attacking those who are trying to help you.

donna

Edited: 8:03 am, September 20, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
3,391 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: Ripped off by Maggiore car rental Bari

Maggiore is great. Europcar is great. I rent from these two every year and not a problem. I make sure i am getting the mandatory Collision Damage Waiver insurance when I pay for the car, then I am good to go. Sally, it's your responsibility to know what you are signing. Sorry this happened to you.

Not sure why you are getting on Donna's case.

London
Level Contributor
523 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Ripped off by Maggiore car rental Bari

We never take the rental company insurance because it is always expensive - instead we have an annual CDW policy bought in the U.K which is valid across Europe. We have never had issues using it with Maggiore - perhaps you had either an uncomprehending or else dishonest employee. I don't know why people on here are getting irate at the original poster - we all know rental car rip off stories so of course it can happen in Bari.

Mestre, Italy
Level Contributor
12,239 posts
97 reviews
7. Re: Ripped off by Maggiore car rental Bari

CDW is always included on all european rentals. You need SCDW, super cover, 0 excess.

London
Level Contributor
523 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: Ripped off by Maggiore car rental Bari

Yes that, whatever it is. My husband takes out an annual policy which covers all our trips.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
3,391 posts
24 reviews
9. Re: Ripped off by Maggiore car rental Bari

If you rent from USA CDW is only included in some rental agencies. It might be an extra in others. Autoeurope includes it. I never had to pay for extra insurance here in Italy.

Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
10. Re: Ripped off by Maggiore car rental Bari

The same here. Complete rip off by Maggiore.

Explicitely stated I didn't want an insurance as I was already covered. This was confirmed by the gay behind the desk; I only had to pay a deposit, nothing else.

In the end (after we've cleaned our car), we lost our contract. When I got home they charges my creditcard with a bill of over 350 euro (almost the rental price including insurance), for an additional insurcance thatwas complete useless and I explicitly did no agree upon. As I didn't have my own copy of the contract anymore, I can't proove anything. But this is the most customer unfriendly company in the world (they also don't have a helpdesk, local office does not pick up the phone and when your car has malfunctioning electronics they can't help you: they just send you to a garage where you have to pay the bill yourself).

Reply to: Ripped off by Maggiore car rental Bari
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted