We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hidden Puglia

London
1 post
Save Topic
Hidden Puglia

We're planning to visit Puglia for the 1st time end August/early September. Looking for a quiet, away from crowds & tourism on the coast.Could anyone recommend an area or region to look at and good villas/appartments to rent?

Mentioned in this post
Puglia
Puglia
Italy
Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hidden Puglia

Mikes2508London,

You might look along the Vieste Costiera near Gargano. Certainly, the Sanctuary of San Michele in Sant'Angelo is crowded on Sundays, however, you might think about taking a side trip there if you have time to see the altar built right into a cave:

http://www.viestedoc.it/

http://www.e-gargano.com/

http://www.vieste.it/vieste_vacanze.htm

I thought in general, prices at restaurants, for souvenirs, bottles of great oil, and cheeses were less expensive than prices around here for similar items. Also, Gargano actually produces its own mozzarella di bufala doc which suprised me as I thought the cheese was made exclusively in Campania.

Buona Fortuna...

Mentioned in this post
Vieste
Vieste
Province of Foggia, Italy
Hotel Gargano
Hotel Gargano
273 Reviews
Vieste, Italy
London, England
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hidden Puglia

Martina Franca is inland, midway from/just over an hour's drive from bth Bari & Brindisi on the high limestone plateau, and half an hour from both coasts so really well located for trips, as well as being a wonderful littleBaroque gem of a city- far less touristy than Alborobello or Ostuni- in fact most visitors are Italian.

Look at the town hall website - Enlglish pages (almost) and lots of pix www.martinafrancatour.it

From there you can get to most of the Salento Peninsula- Alborobello, Ostunia (less than an hour) and Lecce (1.5-2 hours ) for architecture, and it might be worth going as far south as Otranto an Santa Maria di Leuca (2 hous plus) although Gargano (which is highly commended, would be a bit too far the other way .

If you go to Martina- and we loved it on 1st sight- try to stay in the old town- 'centro storico' - instead of the country, (although the vernacular stone country cottages- 'trulli' have charm)as then you'll be in the heart of the evening passegiata and will hopefully coincide with one of the many street festivals. Our little 'centro storico' flat on the top floor of a 300 year old building is probably free (and cheap) but if not, our mates Nick and Sarah at www.trulliitalyinpuglia.com will have other self-catering accomodation, or look at the municipal website for agencies

Sorry for late reply- just back from Puglia!

Mentioned in this post
Martina Franca
Martina Franca
Province of Taranto, Italy
Bari
Bari
Province of Bari, Italy
Brindisi
Brindisi
Province of Brindisi, Italy
Ostuni
Ostuni
Province of Brindisi, Italy
Salento
Salento
Puglia, Italy
Lecce
Lecce
Province of Lecce, Italy
Otranto
Otranto
Province of Lecce, Italy
Hotel Santa Maria
Hotel Santa Maria
3,117 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Hotel Gargano
Hotel Gargano
273 Reviews
Vieste, Italy
Puglia
Puglia
Italy
Guildford
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hidden Puglia

if you dont mind going inland there are a string of lovely old hillside towns right on the northern border of puglia, such as alberona (where i go every year!), rosetto, volturino, faeto...

they are all old, very pretty, with few tourists and lots of good food and wine! if you look on a map tey are inland from lucera, just north of biccari. and if you are desperate to get to the coast it takes only about an hour and a half to get all the way to vieste...

Gloucestershire,Engl...
Level Contributor
25 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hidden Puglia

Hi

My wife and I are going to Puglia 9th-23rd June.

We have booked a Villa at Vacanziparadiso which is just outside the small town of Tuglie and about 6 kilometers from the coast.

The nearest beach is Gallipoli.Never been to that part of the world befoe but we have done a lot of research so hopefully it should be great. If you like I will let you know how it went.

Mentioned in this post
Puglia
Puglia
Italy
Gallipoli
Gallipoli
Province of Lecce, Italy
5. Re: Hidden Puglia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:21 am, June 03, 2007
Italy
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hidden Puglia

DEar Phil,

can you advise to me which villa did you book when traveling to Puglia? We would love to go there and we are searching for a villa.

Thanks a lot,

Katerina

Mentioned in this post
Puglia
Puglia
Italy
Gloucestershire,Engl...
Level Contributor
25 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hidden Puglia

We stayed at Villa Paradiso which was situated just outside the small town of Tuglie on the road to the town of Neviano.If you want details of their villas go to www.vacanzeparadiso.net where you will find details of their villas and rates etc.we stayed in a small villa for 2 Narciso. We would have prefered another of their villas Bouganville which was next to the pool-but that was already taken when we booked.When you put their web address in you should also get up the Trip Advisor page.On there you will find my review which contains photos of the property and a bit more information about the property and area.

Phil

Lecce, Italy
Level Contributor
89 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hidden Puglia

"Hidden Puglia" in August is a big deal. For you two names: Yoga In Salento which is a special place such as the other great place in Italy: the Hills That Breathes in Urbino you may know. Holistic holidays in a great location or in other words Yoga holidays. On the one hand some appartments to rent weekly in an ecological complex powered with solar electric energy and in the middle of traditional organic plantations. And yoga twice a day. In both places you have a big pool.

And a little Website for "non classical holidays" is www.thehiddenapulia.com from a special woman from England (Smeralda).

For more traditional vacation the best Website is www.viaggiareinpuglia.it, from the State of Puglia.

But quietness is hard to find in here during summer time...specially on the coast. To make an exemple you can easily spend 1 hour to leave the beaches in a traffic jam or spend an hour to wait for dinner in a city like Gallipoli or Otranto.

In a nutshell, it is a good idea to come in Puglia and to preapre your trip with the most information you can get before.

I wish you a good stay in Puglia.

Marc.

Mentioned in this post
Puglia
Puglia
Italy
Yoga in Salento
Yoga in Salento
39 Reviews
Lecce, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Urbino
Urbino
Province of Pesaro and Urbino, Italy
England
England
United Kingdom
Gallipoli
Gallipoli
Province of Lecce, Italy
Otranto
Otranto
Province of Lecce, Italy
9. Re: Hidden Puglia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:25 am, October 15, 2009