We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opera confusion!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Opera confusion!

Having sent myself crazy reading all the reports on TA about the Verona Opera experience, I now can't decide what to do and wonder if anyone has thoughts; I'm going in August this year, staying in Bardolino:

1. Unnumbered stone steps, or more expensive seats with backs on (lot of reviews say the numbered seats are more cramped?)

2. Book online in advance to ensure seats, or leave it til we get there so we can see the weather forecast?

3.Does anyone know, if you book online at geticket.it, do they email you your tickets or do you have to pay for them to be couriered? It's much cheaper booking direct than with the tour operator but I can understand why people do as it saves the hassle I guess.

4. Carmen or Turandot?!

Any other tips? We're planning on getting the bus there and back.

Many thanks :)

Colors of Italy - Private Guided Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Verona Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours
Free Walking Tour Verona
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours
Play the City
Scavenger Hunts, Sightseeing Tours
UK
Level Contributor
2,912 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opera confusion!

1. When we were younger we sat on the unnumbered stone seats but now we prefer the comfort of seats with backs. Also as the seats are numbered you do not have to arrive early to bag your space but can have a leisurely meal in one of the nearby restaurants before going in.

2. We've always booked beforehand.

4. Carmen

Do the buses make the return journey at that time in the morning?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,218 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opera confusion!

Hi, the advice we usually give is not to spend more on tickets than you can afford to lose, and to check weather forecasts before buying.

In bad weather, the start time of a performance can be delayed. If it is delayed then cancelled before ever starting then you will be able to claim a refund.

If the opera starts and is then stopped because of the weather you will not be refunded. Instead you will be given the chance to buy tickets at a reduced price for another performance - which of course may not be suitable for everyone to do.

arena.it/en-US/information/spectators.html…

The best place to buy tickets is through the official site or through your tour operator/travel agent.

<<We're planning on getting the bus there and back.>>

Will you be going on an organised excursion with a holiday company like Thomson or Crystal? If so, there will be a coach to get you there and back again afterwards.

If you are planning to use public transport you can get there by local bus from Bardolino, but coming back there is one bus to the lake:

…verona.it/flex/…

The opera to choose is really a personal decision. Both are wonderful but perhaps the weather forecast will help with the decision!

Italy
Level Contributor
6,155 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opera confusion!

Carmen would be my choice too. Oh toreador, oh toreador...

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
1,820 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opera confusion!

The best one, if shedulated, is Aida because the Arena is an excellent scenario

london
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opera confusion!

Hi,

there should be a coach or two from Bardolino to Verona during the opera festival, ask the hotel.

I have never had a problem buying tickets on the day to be honest, even in August, even for the Gala shows. However, I wouldn't want to be the person who gave you this advice and then find that 2014 was an exceptional tourist year in Verona! If you don't want to fall foul of the weather this may be an option. The very first time I went I sat in the 'cheap' seats. It was not a good experience, because we got there a little too late, it was cramped, I was fidgeting all evening as I was so uncomfortable. The lesson being: get in there early! The atmosphere in Piazza Bra during the festival is wonderful, get there early, have a meal at one of the many restaurants around the perimeter of the piazza, people watch, then join the queues once they start forming. Definitely hire a cushion inside and take some binoculars. Getting inside so early, may be worth taking a read as well! Of course all this doesn't apply if you pay for a reserved seat. I have never found the reserved seats to be so cramped. It is quite a price hike from un-numbered to cheapest reserved but it does make your day/evening even more relaxing, knowing you don't have to queue one or two hours before. If you book online at geticket.it you can collect your tickets at the box office.

I would recommend Turandot over Carmen, more grandiose. Verona is made for epic operas like Turandot and Aida and you are in Italy after all!

Enjoy

J

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opera confusion!

Thanks J and everyone else for your advice. Having been hurricaned twice in Florida we don't have a good track record with weather! so I think I'll take J's advice and leave it til we get there

London, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Opera confusion!

If you did buy online, in answer to your 3rd question:

They e-mail you a link to your tickets which has to be printed onto A4 paper - similar to how you would print out a boarding pass for a flight. You also get the option to collect them at the ticket office.

We have tickets for Carmen on Saturday and have purchased our tickets online via getticket.it - we opted to print them out so I already have them.

Kind regards

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Opera confusion!

Thanks kriggie. What seats did you go for? Are you worried about rain?

Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Opera confusion!

Do you need to dress up for this Opera or can you go a bit more casual?

manchester
Level Contributor
25 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Opera confusion!

We had tickets for the opera at the arena last week which we booked through get ticket and this worked out fine just print and take with you. We sat in the first row of numbered seats with no cushions (hired these on Arrival). FAntastic view and so near the stage. We dressed up smart but not over dressy men wore jackets but no tie etc But others were very casual and did not look out of place - wonderful experience.