We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days between Venice and Bologna

canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
2 days between Venice and Bologna

My friend and I will be travelling through Italy in October, we are two females from Canada who are fun and love great food and wine.

My family is from Northern Italy and I have visited before but this will be my friend’s first visit.

We will be leaving Friuli by car on Friday Oct 12, after visiting Venice and need to be in Bologna on Sunday Oct 14th.

We would like to visit Verona, but not sure if we need to spend 2 nights there. I think the arena is closed after September so no shows available. Would anyone recommend any other place to add to this visit? Is Lake Garda an option, is it too touristy? (I know Verona can be, but she is determined to see Juliette wall, like the movie) Should we just stay in Verona both nights and head to Bologna on Sunday.

We have a food and wine tour in Bologna, “Italian Days” so we don’t want to do another tour.

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days between Venice and Bologna

I went with another canadian friend in september 2011.

Surprisingly, Verona was one of our favorite cities among those visited (and we did quite a few). I would definitely recommend it! It's got a old world charm.

When there i would pick up one of the tourism boards access cards, which includes entry to almost all the attractions and bus fare. I think 1-2 days is enough to cover most of it. The juliette balcony thing is a cool photo opportunity, but it is strictly a tourist attraction and holds little sustenance. So i suggest you just get your photos and go. By the way, shopping is also very good in Verona, as are the cafes and pastry shops.

We stayed for 2 nights in a B&B, but we left after the 2nd night for Lake Guarda and Sirmione. It is indeed a very touristy spot, but there are great picnic spots and nice views. You could take it slow and stay longer in Verona if you would like. I think I could have stayed longer and enjoyed it, but not too long ;-)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days between Venice and Bologna

Spend both nights in Verona. We went last year in May which is before the opera/arena season and absolutely loved it, so much so that we're going back this coming May for four or five nights.

Here are some photos I took, if you're interested: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjvcWzaN

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days between Venice and Bologna

Another vote for Verona. We did Verona as a day trip from Bologna, getting there just before lunch and leaving on the last train back. We enjoyed it so much we went back the next day!

Juliette's balcony may not be authentic, but it was fun to go there and pose on the balcony while hubby took photos.

Verona's piazzas are lovely, the castello interesting and in general it is a lovely place to wander about. An evening stroll along the river was just magical.

canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days between Venice and Bologna

Thanks for the feedback, Verona it is.

Michael, great pictures, love the Jazz hands !!

Any recommendations as where to stay, we have a car so we need a place to park it.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days between Venice and Bologna

We loved Residenza Carducci but the challenge for you will be to find someplace at this late date.

Good luck.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,954 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days between Venice and Bologna

I also stayed at Residenza Carducci back in March. Wonderful place and lovely owners. I had the one with the red kitchen- it is actually larger and nicer than the photos on their website. I wish I could have stayed longer.

canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 days between Venice and Bologna

I checked and they are booked. Will have to search a bit more to find a B&B.

any other suggestions appreciated.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 days between Venice and Bologna

I agree with the others stay 2 nights in Verona.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 days between Venice and Bologna

You can use venere.com or booking.com to see only those places that are available for your dates. Good luck.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 days between Venice and Bologna

We booked with Al Quadrifoglio Bed & Breakfast, through hostelworld. We were (are) two canadian girls in their 20s. We absolutly LOVED it.

The breakfast was amazing. The location was good, quiet street with a bakery on the corner and a grocery not too far for our picnics. It's a residential area so there seemed to be a lot of parking, although we did not have a car.

Though it looks far on the map, you can easily walk downtown. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat. The owner also suggested a restaurant known to locals (but not tourists) where we had our best meal in Italy. I don't remember the name of the place though.

Here is the TA link for this b&b:

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g187871-d586683-…

Edited: 1:24 pm, September 28, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Verona