We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

verona opera

yarm cleveland
Level Contributor
5 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
verona opera

We are going to the first night in june. I am in a quandry as to what to wear. WE AR IN THE CHEAPER NUMBERED SEATS. Is it posh or do we just need to dress warmly/ Any advice would be really appreciated

Province of Milan...
Level Contributor
192 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: verona opera

Well, right now it is pretty hot. In Milan we've been up to 30C.

You may want to have a sweater in case the evening cools down, but carry a bag to put it in because you probably won't need it.

You shouldn't have to dress up a lot, people don't even dress up to go to La Scala in Milan anymore, (more's the pity).

I would not suggest high heels for any women in your party, I found it tricky to cope with the steps in running shoes when we toured!

Verona, Italy
Destination Expert
for Verona
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: verona opera

Agree. Casual dressing is ok on he steps. It may be fresh, but even hot. In a summer night with high average temps and lots of sun during the day, the burned stones may be still giving out the heat they accumulated during day for many hours. If there no breeze..... you need to be dressed very lightly.

Ciao

Francesco

P.S. Verona was up to 35C / 95F today... (its 26C/79F at midnight right now) but it will be soon back to more natural temps for the season

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: verona opera

When we went the first time, I was like you - and felt I had to dress up - but wore a navy blue linen trouser suit - with navy broderie anglaise design on the fabric - and a matching shawl for the shoulders. It turned out to be very warm, and nearly everyone around us was a tourist and wearing all sorts... mainly jeans and slacks and casual wear. I felt that was a pity... but never mind ! If you have binoculars with you, you can look at the 'posh' people dressed up in their fancy clothes, sitting on the 'proper chairs' with velvet seats, down in the floor of the arena !

If sitting on the steps, you can hire a nice soft velvet cushion when you go in to the arena, so you don't sit directly on the hard stone steps. But they do make you all squeeze up together to get everyone in.

Next time - spending more money - one could even pay to go on the posh seats and wear our posh clothes... !

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
734 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: verona opera

Yep ! :D

But remember... posh seats maybe burn more than stones and located "in the deep valley" they have less wind cooling you in that sort of boiling pot...

Until the last year, but i suppose even this year, if you rent the cushion inside the Arena they'll give the money to the Red Cross (i don't know if all the money or only a part).

yarm cleveland
Level Contributor
5 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: verona opera

Thanks very much for helpful response.

yarm cleveland
Level Contributor
5 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: verona opera

Thanks very much for helpful response.

7. Re: verona opera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 23, 2009