We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Venice the most beautiful city in the world?

London, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
36 reviews
14 helpful votes
Is Venice the most beautiful city in the world?
Save

We got back from Venice last week but I still am thinking about it. Prior seeing Venice, I was confident Prague was the most beautiful city, however I just think Venice may take that position. I think it's uniqueness, the canals, narrow alleyways, architecture of reneissance period and amazing churches all lead to this. It truly is the most beautiful city. I'm czech so I never thought that Prague could be beaten in this.

I'd like to here some thoughts on this.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
53,335 posts
87 reviews
82 helpful votes
1. Re: Is Venice the most beautiful city in the world?
Save

I think you got it right in saying its the uniqueness of Venice which make it so special, There a many Cities I have not experienced so can't comment on the beauty, but certainly nowhere like it,

Portsmouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Portsmouth
Level Contributor
6,480 posts
2,615 reviews
10,778 helpful votes
2. Re: Is Venice the most beautiful city in the world?
Save

It is difficult to define most beautiful as the words have different meanings for different people. However yes, that amazing feeling when you walk out of Santa Lucia station and see the Canal directly n front of you cannot be beaten. It really is a most exhilarating city.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
278 posts
3. Re: Is Venice the most beautiful city in the world?
Save

Without a doubt it is the most beautiful of all the cites I have seen in a fairly long lifetime of travelling, which is why I keep going back. And, yes, I like Prague too and I used to live in Edinburgh...

London, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
36 reviews
14 helpful votes
4. Re: Is Venice the most beautiful city in the world?
Save

Yes understandably beauty is different for each and everyone for us. However if Venice receives +20 million visitors each year, I think it can be safely stated that many people would have to agree. I just remember the nostalgia I felt when walking along the back streets of Castello or sitting at night sipping spritz right by the Grand Canal - very few cities have made me feel this way. Prague is one of them, but only at night when dead quite. However Venice is truly unique and just so spectacular. I know it's a city I will visit often and always marvel at just how enchanting and spectacular it is.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
14,238 posts
205 reviews
103 helpful votes
5. Re: Is Venice the most beautiful city in the world?
Save

I don't think you can answer that question until you have been to Oamaru or Palmerston North.

6. Re: Is Venice the most beautiful city in the world?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 pm, April 07, 2016
Edited: 5 years ago
7. Re: Is Venice the most beautiful city in the world?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 pm, April 07, 2016
Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome, Lisbon
Level Contributor
15,518 posts
954 reviews
3,049 helpful votes
8. Re: Is Venice the most beautiful city in the world?
Save

I agree that Venice is incredibly beautiful and can rely on some uniqueness more than most of other cities in the world. Anyway, the cities in the world are so many and so different that saying which is the most beautiful is practically impossible.

"However if Venice receives +20 million visitors each year, I think it can be safely stated that many people would have to agree."

I don't agree on this evidence. It just proves that Venice is more popular than other cities, and popularity is just partially related with beauty. Most travellers just behave in order to visit the places that they have already heard about as "beautiful", or that they regard as "must-see" for any reason. But there are plenty of other cities that can be regarded as very beautiful and receive very few visitors. In Italy there are dozens, in Czech Republic a good example can be Olomouc.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
9. Re: Is Venice the most beautiful city in the world?
Save

As much as I love Venice I'm not sure I would characterize is as the "most" beautiful city in the world - it is certainly one of the the most beautiful - but then I haven't visited every single city on the planet to judge! For me personally, I do say it is my all-time favorite city of the places I have visited - for all the reasons you list.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,822 posts
19 reviews
7 helpful votes
10. Re: Is Venice the most beautiful city in the world?
Save

Venice and Santorini are the most beautiful for me.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.