We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Intinerary

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip Intinerary

I was wondering if someone could give me their opinion on my itinerary for a 2 week trip (May 26-June 11)?? Milan (2 nights), Venice (4 nights), Florence (5 nights), Rome (5 nights) . Also..since its going to be a 2 week trip, we really cant spend very much on hotels because it will add up (i.e $100/night is the absolute max)...any suggestions on good hotels not too expensive?

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
TA
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Intinerary

Hi, I think your palan is grea (but my husbend think you dont have to stay in milan at all or more than one night). We think you'll have a problem with the sum of 100$ per night in the season you're going to stay and that you'll have to take motels/pensions out of the main areas in every city or out of the city at all. We think that it is sometimes better to shorten a little the trip and stay in the city and get the real feeling of it. For example - in venice there are no cars and a lot of canals and brides, if you stay at mestre/lido there are cars there and it all looks completely different.

Venezia, Italy
Level Contributor
260 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Intinerary

Hi,

You will really struggle on 100 dollars a night in any of the places you want to visit.

I like Milan; it has a beautiful cathedral ��� the Duomo, the Theatro alla Scala and the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele all right in the very centre of the city. A few metres away are the main shopping streets with all the designer names. It is a short bus ride to the Castello Sforzesco, also well worth a visit. If you arrive by train spend a little while admiring the architecture of the railway station.

You can probably just about see the main tourist places in Venice in your four days. Personally I���m not a big fan of Florence so I would spend more time in Venice this trip and move on to Rome. Don���t forget you will lose time travelling, its over 300 miles from Venice to Rome.

Murray

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Castello Sforzesco
Castello Sforzesco
10,550 Reviews
Milan, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Intinerary

Hi

My wife and I went to Milan and Venice in June last year. I have posted trip reports and pictures from this trip on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com. On the page you will find some info on how to get around, which hotels we used etc. I hope you will be able to find some useful information there :-)

Regards

Gard

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Gard
Gard
Occitanie, France
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Intinerary

Thanks for your advice....although now Im starting to worry about running out of money...it does look like finding hotel rooms at $100/night is near impossible..unfortunately, we already have our plane tix...so we are gonna be there for 2 weeks for sure.....

USA
Level Contributor
765 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Intinerary

Have you tried google.com ? (Type in) $100 hotel room rome italy

Cedar Falls, Iowa
Level Contributor
36 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Intinerary

Iam a huge fan of Florence. Don't miss it. 2 nights in Rome is enough. Same with Florence. Stay a MINIMUM of 3 nights in Venice or you will regret it!

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Charlotte, NC
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Intinerary

As far as reasonably priced places to stay, you might want to check into staying in some religious guesthouses. There is a great book called "Lodging in Italy's Monasteries" that even provides you with a reservation request letter to fax to the convents/monasteries. My husband and I are going to Italy in June 2005 and are planning to do this for parts of our trip.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
California
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Intinerary

I do not think you can reasonably take in Rome in 2 days. It is too big and too intense to give short shrift. Stick to your intinerary.

To save money, you can try hostels, university dorms (which reant rooms out of session), even camping. I do not know your ages, but when I was in college, I camped at a campground on one of Venice's islands and took the boat back and forth every day/night.

You can also save on a night's hotel fare by taking the overnight train between Rome and Venice and sleeping in a couchette car.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy