We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time

Dallas, Texas
7 posts
Save Topic
First Time

My Lady and I are going to Venice for the first time..late March 2007. One of the things we are somewhat concerned abut are the prices of restaurants. I have looked at several "tour books" listimg restaurants and they all seem to list prices beginning at $30 (Euro) per person.

Even tho' we are staying at the Westin Europa we surely do not want to spend as much on meals as the hotel & airfare combined.

Can someone pleaase help us...perhaps a site where restaurants are listed etc.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
429 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time

Dear Tennis:

I wouldn't worry too much about it, nor would I waste time looking at web-sites of Venice restaurants. On our trips to Venice, we've found that the best source for good local information about restaurants, in pretty much any price range, is the folks at the hotel front desk. At the Westin, you'll have the added benefit of a concierge.

Venice is not a cheap city, and it lives off the tourist trade. However, on our recent trips, we have found hotel staff more than willing to recommend excellent places that didn't cost E$30 per person, especially if you are reasonably flexible and adventuresome and don't mind a good walk. Most of the reasonably priced places are small, and don't have web-sites, and don't pay for listings on commercial restaurant web pages. No doubt, if you just plain have to eat near Piazza San Marco, with a view of the evening sky over Sta. Maria della Salute, you'll pay 30 Euros or more. But you really don't need to do that.

A couple of suggestions: Give your concierge a desired price range; better yet, tell him or her that you'd like to try a restaurant where you'd find "real Venetians," which in Venice is code for "I don't mind walking to a really cool little place in Cannereggio (or other neighborhood not smack in the middle of Piazza San Marco)." You can be sure that "real Venetians" don't spring for E$30 every time they want a nice plate of pasta or seafood. You can also be sure that the best food in Venice is pretty simple, and all the fussiness that goes into expensive food there is generally not worth it.

When it comes to food, trust the locals. They won't steer you wrong.

prince william co...
Level Contributor
518 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time

Let me give you a point of reference. My wife and I were in Venice last March and ate dinner several times at the Taverna San Trovaso ( in Dorsoduro) which is generally considered a lower- priced restaurant. Typically, we would have each have a main course, a side dish, and desert (all a la carte). We would also split a half-liter of the house wine between the two of us. The bill for both of us together was usually around 45 euros (around 57 dollars at the present time). So I think you can do a little better than 30 euros per person if you choose the right restaurant and don't go crazy, but don't expect to find anything dirt-cheap.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,638 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time

I would agree with the recommendation for the San Trovaso on Fondamenta Priuli in Dorsoduro. The food is competent with plenty of pizzas at well under $10 for a large one.

All restaurants have to show their menu outside the restaurant so you can see what dishes are on offer and what the price range is. Remember all will charge a "Pane e Coperto" from as little as 1 euro up to 3 or 4. I avoid restaurants which then add a service charge, often 12.5%, on top of everything else. Plenty of restaurants do not levy such a charge.

Beware that some places list the price for fish, lobsters etc. by weight - often per "etto" = 100grams - which means a nasty shock when the bill comes. Always check your bill against the prices quoted on the menu-it is possible they may vary!!

The immediate surroundings of the Westin Europa may not offer much in the way of reasonably priced food. Try the quieter areas of Dorsoduro, S. Polo and Cannaregio and enjoy the walk.

Dallas, Texas
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time

A big ol' Texas THANKS to all of you who replied to my plea for help. You have calmed our nerves about this a bunch.

Thanks again