We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A problem of SCALE

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,592 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
A problem of SCALE

just found a new vimeo of Venice, which demonstrates the scale (quite literally) of some of the problems currently facing the city, its residents and its visitors...

http://vimeo.com/81328683

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
612 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A problem of SCALE

Fascinating, and very depressing: it ought to be compulsory viewing for anyone thinking of booking a cruise which takes in Venice

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,803 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A problem of SCALE

I seem to recall that the most monstrous of these monstrosities will soon be banned from the Giudecca Canal. A step in the right direction - let's hope there are more steps to come!

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A problem of SCALE

Wow, and very well done!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,250 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A problem of SCALE

Whose Ships really are monsters, frightening what they are doing to the infrastructure,

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,234 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A problem of SCALE

Thx for sharing, I_heart_Venice. I haven't been to Venice yet and I had never seen any images of the cruise ships in Venice. This video shocked me.

The first scene of a street with 2 rows of buildings and the ship slowly sliding into view - it made me nauseous. It reminded me of "Inception", where part of the city folds upwards into the sky. Surreal and in a very bad way.

Fintry, United...
Level Contributor
450 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A problem of SCALE

It's not just the sight of these monsters, you have to factor in the "pop goes Vivaldi" emanating from their sound systems.....

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A problem of SCALE

I showed this video to my 7th grade geography students and they were horrified. These are kids in Australia who are 12 and 13 years old and for whom Venice may end up going from a living city to a place of limited visitors and timed admission.

My question is - what about the people on board these ships? Don't they *get* how destructive these monsters are? Have they no concept of their impact?

Venice belongs to the world and it must be protected.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,567 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: A problem of SCALE

When I saw my first one last year, I had been looking elsewhere and saw something out of the corner of my eye and it suddenly came into view - I literally couldn't breathe for a few seconds - it is just so shocking - in every respect. Thankfully, there was no music emanating from it - it would felt beyond surreal, more than it already did.

I can dream of a day when the economy of Venice is robust enough not to need the money from these monstrous, destructive machines. But, that day - if it ever does arrive - is a long way off as it is with the rest of the world.

And, as long as these cruise companies pay some of the most terrible wages for working people, they will be able to continue to offer cruises at cheap prices and people will jump on board - not all that different than shopping at the cheap chain stores that sell products made by nearly slave labor in - well, we know where. How do you stop that procession towards this kind of inexpensive vacation or goods? It will be pretty difficult to remove these cheaper options now that they have been offered and sell so well.

I wish the good people of Venice luck with their continued pursuance of eliminating/reducing these horrors from certain areas - and then, in time with some magic and political will (and improving economy), maybe they can rid themselves of these creatures altogether.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
612 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A problem of SCALE

I wonder just how much these ships do contribute to the Venetian economy; probably not very much if my small experience is anything to go by. Last year I was asked to meet some people from a cruise ship and show them around the city. Every question, would you like a coffee, something to eat, go to a restaurant, received the same reply. No, all that is provided on board. Their sole contribution to the Venetian economy was a bottle of water and an orange juice.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,072 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A problem of SCALE

Lucca, The port authority - loads, The odd tour guide, taxi , assistant s at airports etc . However, if you see how much they charge and then how much the locals are paid its disgusting. few people do stay on before and afterwards which does help but I for one am glad that they have been re routed and limits places on them .

I don't think they will stop as there are people who make lots of money - just not the locals !