We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice accommodation on Grand Canal

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
106 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Venice accommodation on Grand Canal

Will be in Venice end of May for 3 nights, special occasion for my husband and I. Looking for recommended accommodation on the Grand Canal, would like view and if possible small balcony. Trying to keep under $500 per night. Have been recommended Savoia and Jolanda and like the look of Hotel Antiche Figure - however there are so many to choose from, any help would be appreciated.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,856 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Venice accommodation on Grand Canal

Do take a train, I do not think there are flights, from Venice to Milan anyway,

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
97 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Venice accommodation on Grand Canal

This is easy we did it but the other way around. We stayed in bellagio all the places around that area are something you couldn't believe you get a train from como station to Milan then swap and get the train to Venice so simple. The station is very close to grande hotel just over the scalize bridge. Also caught the train to Florence and then to Rome. Didn't have one problem but we did have all the trains booked and first class. Just wanted a bit more room as we were carrying a lot of luggage and like you had never done it before. You will fall in love with Italy the food the people the buildings everything

Sydney
Level Contributor
106 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Venice accommodation on Grand Canal

Hi essendon18, so would you say Bellagio would be the easiest, in terms of getting there without a car? So we would catch train from Venice to Milan, then change for Como station? Did you just walk from the station to your hotel? Yes, we are travelling for 7 weeks, so will have a bit of luggage. Did you book your train travel online from Australia before you left? Any tips you have for us would be great. Thank you.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Venice accommodation on Grand Canal

If you don't mind, how much is the room at Grand Canal and with Grand Canal view ? Under your budget € 400.00?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
97 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Venice accommodation on Grand Canal

Yes that is the easiest I tried but couldn't do it myself so my travel agent did the ital train pass and booked the seats. Once you get to como you get a taxi to the ferrie dock only about 5 mins but to far to walk with luggage and cobblestones will kill your wheels. Easy to get a ferrie to where you are going and I have to say we only stayed at bellagio and I wish we had picked a couple of others as the ferry pulled in at a number of small places which looked divine. Try everything in Venice except the touristy looking places wherever the locals are will be good the quality of the Venetian food and desserts was the best we had in Italy the tiramisu especially. The shopping over the station side was very good their were things I wish I had bought as I thought I would find them in Rome cheaper however I never saw the things again I learnt a lesson if you love it buy it as all the different regions change. If you are going to Florence I recommend the Florence for foodies tour. So fun and the opera at st marks church. We had never been to the opera and this was such a special nite never to be forgotten didn't get to the cinque terra will be interested to know how u find it cheers amanda

Sydney
Level Contributor
106 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Venice accommodation on Grand Canal

Just about! After researching for weeks, we are really happy with our decision. Spend time looking for the most important things to you - as everyone likes different aspects of their accommodation. Its quite time consuming, but exciting at the same time :)

Sydney
Level Contributor
106 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Venice accommodation on Grand Canal

Well we have now decided to stay in Varenna - which has great access, train from Milan straight to Varenna station and a short 10 minute walk to our accommodation. To be honest, it all looks beautiful there, so I guess we cant go wrong, just didn't want a day of on and off trains, buses, ferries. We will definitely visit Bellagio, looks beautiful, although a little more expensive I noted. Great tips for Florence!!! Thank you. We are staying in San Gimignano, but will hire a car there. Oh yes, the shopping!!! I've promised my husband no shopping this trip, we are trying to travel light!!!!! Plus we went to both Hawaii and New York this year. Thank you for such great advice :)

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Venice accommodation on Grand Canal

Hello Crackers, did you read my question?

Sydney
Level Contributor
106 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Venice accommodation on Grand Canal

Hi kat1, yes I did, my reply is two posts up :)

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Venice accommodation on Grand Canal

Sorry I dont' see your answer to my questions, room types and price at Hotel Grand Canal. What am I missing?