We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Validating Vaporetto tickets?

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,132 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Validating Vaporetto tickets?

The current thread about paying a fine for failing to validate a "water bus" ticket before boarding has me confused. Which tickets and passes must be validated? We bought single-trip tickets ( the €7 ones) and there did not appear to be any way to validate them on the dock. People were tapping various passes on the imob machine but it did not react to our tickets. Then no one checked our tickets so we don't know if we were "legal" or not.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,221 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Validating Vaporetto tickets?

The validation is now electronic.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
34,043 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Validating Vaporetto tickets?

Maybe you didn't hold it in front of the reader for long enough? See europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice…

However, in my local transport system, also electronic, sometimes it doesn't beep: I expected the worst when we had an inspection, but it seems it had "taken" after all.

Edited: 5:57 am, October 15, 2013
Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,420 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Validating Vaporetto tickets?

Yes you should use the Imob machines sort of swipe infront and it beeps at you!!!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,553 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Validating Vaporetto tickets?

............gives you a green light , if a red one appears the pass has expired,

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,132 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Validating Vaporetto tickets?

Thanks for the replies. We tried various places on the machine, but maybe we didn't hold it there long enough, as qaminari suggests. But the tickets have numbers on them across the black stripes on the back, like one would see on a Regionale train ticket after it is validated. Is impossible the tickets were validated by the seller when we bought them?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
34,043 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Validating Vaporetto tickets?

Yes it's impossible. The seller can't know whether you intend to use tickets immediately or are buying for another occasion!

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,793 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Validating Vaporetto tickets?

Period passes are electronic devices which you validate by waving over the receiver pad close to the boarding point or on the ferry. They should give a reassuring beep when you do this to signify your ticket is validated

Edited: 8:27 am, October 15, 2013
Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,132 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Validating Vaporetto tickets?

No beep. We tried several times but probably didn't hold it in position long enough. Or maybe it was one of the green machines the link above mentions---it says they can't be used to validate tickets. Maybe I will go back to P. Roma, where we boarded, and have a look one of these days.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
343 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Validating Vaporetto tickets?

hi, do i need to use Vaporetto from Santa Lucia Station to St Mark Sq? or it is ok to walk? thanks.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,553 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Validating Vaporetto tickets?

It is quite a walk,, best take a VaporettoLine 1 the scenic route via Grand Canal.